Chapter 14: Weewillmeku

"Stop pacing," Mozzie urged. "He'll show up."

Neal ignored him. Everyone else had already arrived at the designated rendezvous spot—the parking lot by the Columbia boathouse. Chloe had picked up Neal and Mozzie in her Mustang. Dean brought Maia, Sam, and Peony in the Impala. But there was no sign of Peter's Taurus. Sunset would fast be upon them.

Peter had texted he'd be there, but there was currently a higher priority. Diana and Jones had been missing for close to twenty-four hours with no additional leads. When Peter's car screeched into the lot, Neal exhaled with relief. For once, he wouldn't tease him about his speed-demon habits.

"No news about Diana and Jones," Peter said, jumping out of the car and forestalling Neal's questions. "The only updates are discouraging. We've heard of one more missing person."

"The sun is about to sink below the horizon," Dean warned. "Let's do this. If nothing happens, I'll go back on patrol." He was carrying a shotgun. Sam had one as well.

Mozzie scowled at the weapons. "Your firearms send the wrong signal. We don't want to inflame Weewillmeku's anger."

"Humor us," Peter retorted, pulling out his gun. "For all we know, he may consider it a sign of respect."

Chloe and Maia walked to the river's edge and clasped hands. The clouds which had been present in the morning had dissipated, leaving a clear sky with only a light breeze. The women began murmuring the supplication, their voices growing more powerful as they chanted in the ancient tongue. Peony strode over to stand behind them. She didn't add her voice to theirs but grasped their free hands to form a tight triad.

Neal held his breath, waiting to see what would happen. Everyone had their eyes fixed on the river. They'd brought binoculars and were scanning the water for any sign of movement.

Suddenly they were cast into darkness. A black cloud had appeared out of nowhere. It was directly overhead and growing steadily in size. The light breeze turned into a stiff wind. Soon the river itself began to churn and seethe.

A clap of thunder caused Neal to jump. It was immediately followed by the crackle of lightning. One bolt after another etched the sky and plunged into the river.

"What the hell," Peter muttered. "Rain wasn't called for in the forecast."

Sam stared upward. "This is no natural phenomenon. Look at the shape of that cloud."

The cloud had coalesced into a gigantic ring with lightning erupting from the edges. So far no rain. Whatever force was at work was more intent on a sound-and-light show. Their hair was standing on end from static electricity.

Letting out a curse, Dean dropped his shotgun and shook his hand. And not just him. Peter and Sam flung their guns to the ground, too.

"Electric shock!" Peter yelled over the wind which was now howling. "Drop anything metal. We need to seek shelter."

"No!" Peony commanded. "The chant must continue."

The women's voices carried high over the peals of thunder. The air itself felt charged with some unseen force as they all nervously waited.

Then, as if a switch had been flicked, the wind stilled. A column of water began to rise from the nearshore directly in front of the chanters. Floating in the center was a creature. Bald, smooth-skinned, his mouth gaped open in a large circle. For a long minute, he hovered in the liquid column of water, his eyes fixed on the women.

Mozzie swallowed. "Weewillmeku." His voice was a barely audible whisper.

The creature raised both arms high into the sky and howled, an ear-splitting prolonged roar lasting for several seconds. Neal heard an explosion somewhere behind them. He turned his head to see dense smoke rising from a building south of their location.