Chapter 1

"Kylie, hurry up or you'll be late for school!" 

"Coming!" Shoving my binder into my school bag, I take one last look in the mirror and flinch.  Ew. I try to tame my curly sun-kissed locks with a quick comb of my hands, the tangles gnawing at my fingers. 

That'll have to do. 

Satisfied, I headed downstairs to greet my parents. John and Stacey Kirkpatrick adopted me when I was 3 months old. According to social services, my biological mother died giving birth to me and my biological father was MIA. I can't complain, I love John and Stacey to death. My life has turned out great and I'm very fortunate, I even got a sister out of the deal. But there's still a piece of me that wonders what life would be like if my biological family had raised me instead.

As I hit the bottom step, my mother gives me a quick peck on the cheek 'goodbye', before I continue flying out the door like a headless chicken. Taylor was already waiting at the bus stop by the time I got there.

"It's about time! Haul ass over here, I've been holding the bus for like 5 minutes waiting for you!" she grumbles, sending me a glare. She inherited her pine-coloured eyes and wavy chocolate locks from our dad. Her temper, on the other hand, was all our mom's.

"Well maybe if you hadn't spent two hours in the bathroom this morning curling your hair for Josh Crawford then I'd have been ready on time! I love you, Tay, but who takes two hours to curl their hair?! Two. Hours! This boy better be something special if he's causing you to encroach on my bathroom time." I exclaimed. In all honesty, I wasn't even that surprised that it took her that long to get ready. Taylor's quite the girly girl. The two hours she spent curling her hair this morning doesn't even compare to the weeks she spent online shopping for her elementary school graduation dress. I don't even want to imagine what getting ready for prom will be like.

"Whatever, let's just go. You're lucky Iris waited this long."

As I climbed up the steps, I shot Iris an apologetic look to which she smiled and nodded before closing the door behind me. Once we arrived at school, I went straight to my locker to unload my bag and grab my things for my first class-math. Gross.

I scavenge for my calculator and sigh in relief when I find it glued to the bottom of my school bag. I pushed my locker door shut to reveal none other than Josh Crawford, Westwood High's very own mysterious quarterback. He'd just transferred here at the start of the year and I'd never gotten the chance to talk to him before - not that I really wanted to anyways. I hate being the center of attention so I usually avoid people like him. Tay gets all googly-eyed just thinking about him - along with the other 99% of the female student body. Personally, I don't see why everyone is so obsessed with him. I mean I guess he's easy on the eyes, but if I'm being honest he sorta smells like a wet dog.

"Hi."

"Uh... Hi. Can I help you with something?" I asked unsure as to what was going on. Why is he here? 

"You're Taylor's sister, right?" he asked.

"Yeah...?" I hesitated, wondering how he knew me and what he wanted.

"I'm Josh. Look, I know we just met but I was hoping you could help me with something," he said.

"...With what exactly?" I asked, hesitation evident in my voice. What could I possibly help him with?

"I really like your sister and I was going to ask her out on a date, but then I realized that I don't know much about what kind of things she likes to do... Would you mind helping me out here?" he said. Oh, hell no. This well-known manwhore expects me to just give him a free key to her heart? Well, he has another thing coming. I know what high school boys are like. They only want one thing, which is why I try to steer clear of them. I don't trust this Josh guy. If he really likes her, he's gotta put in the time and work for her to prove himself worthy of my best friend's heart.