Speaking of, her dad was right behind her mother, reaching over her shoulder to ruffle Jo's hair and then wrap both of them in a bear hug. While he had left the mountains, the mountains had never quite left him. He always had a big salt-and-pepper beard and dressed like he might be heading out to go hiking.

Her mother's great-grandparents had been immigrants from India, who had made their way to Charlotte, where her family had stayed. Jacob's family, on the other hand, had lived in the mountains of North Carolina for ages.

Maira and Jo's dad, Jacob, had met during college, when they had both attended UNC Charlotte. Jacob had been the first in his family to go to college while Maira was a legacy student. While one might not have thought a mountain boy and a city girl could make it work, the two of them had been married for almost twenty years.

"You really didn't have to come," her mom said, hugging Jo again. "It's such a long drive."

"I actually didn't have to drive," Jo said. She pulled back slightly and realized that she had left Ryker by the truck. He had wandered slightly up the drive but was hanging back, probably to give them a bit of privacy. She waved him over. "Um, so, this is Ryker Monroe--"

"The boyfriend," Jacob said, glancing over at Ryker. "You're Malcolm's boy?"

"One of them," Ryker said, walking up behind Jo.

"Jo's told us so much about you," her mom said, a smirk hiding in the corner of her mouth. "I mean, at first you were the annoying, rude boy at the hardware store--"

"Mom! Really..." It was funny when she was joking about it with his family, but did it have to be the first thing her mom mentioned? Maybe this was karma for last night at his house.

"But everything she's said since then has been very positive," she teased. Most of Jo's own joking nature came from her mother. She reached out and squeezed Jo's elbow before smiling at Ryker. "We're really glad you brought her to visit."

"I just wish it wasn't under the circumstances," Ryker said, nodding his head to her parents in a quiet apology.

"Life happens whether we want it to or not," her dad said with a quiet chuckle.

"Never heard a truer statement," Ryker said, a hint of a smile on his face. Oh yep, the mountain men were bonding.

Her dad had always been the more laidback, calm one of her two parents. He accepted life as it was and continued moving forward. Jo had always appreciated his ability to help her see how to accept her problems and find solutions rather than dwelling on the fact that she was dealing with problems.

That trait he'd taught her was a big part of why she moved to the mountains. It might not have been a perfect solution, but it was the only way forward at the time.

And apparently, it'd been the best choice in the end, because it'd brought her to Ryker. She could never regret that.

"Well come on in," her mom said, beckoning them in. Jo was hit with the smell of chicken casserole as soon as she stepped through the door--one of her favorite meals growing up.

"You made my favorite!" She said, beaming at her mom.

"Of course," Maira returned, rolling her eyes. "What kind of mom would I be if I didn't make it for my daughter's first visit back from college?"

"I'm not complaining, it smells delicious," Ryker said, stepping in after her.

"You shouldn't be worrying about cooking for me right now," Jo said, frowning at Maira.

"You know better than to try and stop your mom when she gets a notion in her head," Jacob said. He paused by the fridge. 'You kids want anything to drink?"