54: its not enough

Have beaten Aoba Johsai and Shiratorizawa during prelims and now, who could expect the former powerhouse school Karasuno able to beat Inarizaki during Spring tournament? Indeed, the school rose up once again.

    Ayumu's eyes flustered close once the last ball touched Inarizaki' court. Her shudder breath left her lips before she pursed them tightly as she was holding her tears inside. The whistle blew in the background, as a signal for the final set was over. Ayumu could not open her eyes to see her team members breakdown infront of her but she needed to open her eyes nonetheless.

    Gripping to her book and pen tightly, Ayumu gathered all courage to open her eyes. Instead of looking straight towards her team members, she turned directly towards the score displayer. Karasuno; 32 and Inarizaki;30. They ended with 2:1. All win went to Karasuno. Ayumu felt her tears cascaded from her corner eyes which she instantly wiped the tears away.

    Its over. Really overㅡ

    Ayumu stood up along with the coaches by the bench whilst the players were going to thank the audience. She saw her brother; Atsumu, was standing alone at the middle of the court, having a word with Karasuno no10 and Kageyama. She had no idea what her brother talked about but whenever he turned around, a pair of determination eyes were the only Ayumu could see from him. Then, out of the blue Osamu hit his twin and they indeed argued in the middle of the court.

    That able to bring back a small smile on her face. It just for a brief seconds though. Ayumu left the court with the team members. She walked at the back of the members while the members walked at the front. None of them were opening their mouth to say a word until both brothers of hers suddenly reached for Kita which put everyone to stop. Ayumu looked up at them in silence. She could feel the air around them, was starting to suffocate her. It ws thickㅡthe air.

    "...its still pretty frustrating." Kita said, making everyone sealed their lips."We did everything we could, and I don't have any regrets."

    Ayumu's heart twisted by the captain's words. She balled her hand into fist. Her eyes were on the captain as he spoke. She wasn't dare to listen to him anymore. It sounded so sad when it came from the captain himself. Ayumu took few step backwards secretly and leaned against the wall nearby.

    " 'Well isn't my team mate amazing?' I wanted to say that even more." Kita said. Ayumu didn't know what expression he had since she was hiding behind the wall but she could imagine, the captain had a big smile on his face. That was the climax where it brought Ayumu to slide down against the wall and covered her face. Sobs left her lips no matter how hard she tried. She could hear some of her teammate was crying as well which made Ayumu wanted to cry harder than she already was.

    "Come on. Let's hurry up and get change." Kita told the members. One step, two steps slowly drifted away, leaving Ayumu alone at the spot. The truth of Inarizaki lost on their second round was still hard for her to accept. Kita already reminded her a day before, as an athlete herself (a former even), Ayumu should know better than anyone else. Whenever it came to sport, win and lost would be a must and nothing could change that. But still,if your place at the lost teamㅡthe pain was unbearable.

    "Miya."

    Ayumu instantly looked up to the voice of her coaches and she quickly wiped her tears away. She jumped to her feet and brushed off the invisible dust on her.

    "Sensei, gomen. " Ayumu forced a smile.
    "Losing is hurt but we aren't going to stop here right?" Coach Kurosu said as Coach Taro smiled, who stood by his side.

    Ayumu didn't say a word as reply. She just pursed her lips and nodded.

    "Shinsuke done a great work as a captain for this year." Coach Kurosu added. " In leading the team, aware of his team members condition even we know how outward he is. But that is Shinsuke. He is too perfect to be replace. I almost cannot have a clear view of who gonna be the next captain to replace Shinsuke for next year. But. . . do ya think Atsumu can be a good captain for next?"