'Then both Eren and Armin 'll be...'

"I've got 13 years left... And you—"

"Eight years left... Not even", Eren finished Armin's sentence for him. Mikasa's form sunk together as she tightened her grip around her knees, pressing them harder against her chest. You didn't say anything, only continuing to brush her hair with even more care-filled and soft movements while fighting to keep your breath steady.

"You're wrong. This has to be a mistake", Mikasa said with her head down between her arms. Eren didn't respond. "It's wrong". The boys on the other side of the wall were quiet for a moment more, the only sound heard was your brush working its way through Mikasa's hair that had long since been untangled.

"If one possessing the power of the nine titans dies without passing it on, the power is inherited by a baby yet to be born by a subject of Ymir", Eren said after a while. Subjects of Ymir... It was weird thinking about how you all by blood had the possibility of turning into titans, and that there exists people out there who don't possess that ability; who can't be turned into a titan even if they were injected with the serum. You almost felt like there was a ticking time-bomb inside of you- a mindless titan just waiting to take over your body. You shuddered at the thought. Eren continued to elaborate.

"It's as if all the  Subjects of Ymir are connected by something we can't see. One inheritor said they saw paths. The blood and bones that form a titan, and at times even memories and thoughts, are sent through those paths. All the paths cross at a single coordinate. In other words, that's... the Founding Titan"

~

"They'll let Eren and Mikasa out to join the meeting today, right?", Connie asked you as you sat and ate breakfast with him and the two others. Sasha and Moblit were still recovering, but more stable than before which was promising. Armin was nowhere to be seen, probably already in the cellars with the pair in question.

"Yeah. It's important that they are present for it, and Levi said they've had enough time to reflect about what they did anyways", you answered after swallowing down your last spoonful of oatmeal and berries.

You felt happy knowing they didn't have to sleep in that dark cellar anymore. For the last couple of months, Eren had been allowed a proper room after two months stuck sleeping in the cellars when he initially joined the Scouts with you. You felt bad he had to go back to the darkness after finally being allowed his own space above ground, but knowing it was temporary was a comforting thought.

"Oh, speaking of which, I promised to meet up with Armin and the others beforehand to bring them their clothes and escort the two to the meeting! I've got to go!", you said slightly panicked once you noticed the time.

You gave Marco a quick peck on the cheek before hurriedly putting on your long military coat while getting up from your seat. They snickered slightly watching you struggle. After finally getting your hands through the opening of the arm, you looked back at them while moving towards the door.

"See you guys at the meeting! Save me a seat!", you waved before running out of the hall, rushing through the corridors of HQ, only stopping to grab their uniforms and coats on the way.

Once descending the vast amount of stairs and entering the cellar, you spotted Armin standing beside Hange and Levi, and you started to voice out your apology for being late.

"I'm so—", Hange quickly covered your mouth with her hand once you reached her side, not taking her eyes off Eren. Coming over the initial surprise of her hand against your lips, you looked over at Levi and Armin, who were both silently watching Eren as well with the same expecting and curious expression as Hange; Levi less than of course. Hange let her arm fall and you finally turned your gaze to see what this was all about.