"Perhaps I should go to them, cripple them from the inside?" Adria mused.

      "You're fucking joking, right?" Neal's ice-blue eyes shook.

      "You know my loyalty is with the Walls," Adria's neck itched. It was like Zeke was still gripping her. "Brant abandoned his birthplace for a reason, he gave humanity a chance. I don't want to have to see another loved one die. . .a part of me wishes I was still in that meadow in Sheena."

     "Bleeding out and heartbroken at the hands of Commander Smith?" Neal grunted. "You've got to be fucking joking."

     "And what would you suggest, hm? If you had it your way you would've abandoned humanity years ago and taken me by force!" Adria snarled.

      Keith lowered his cup with a sigh, "Children, enough bickering. We've suffered considerable losses and the Corps needs time to rebuild. The reality of our situation is becoming apparent on the daily, especially with the loss at Hanna. If we are to prepare an attack against Marley, we need more information and troops. A few scraps of paper and a journal will not suffice. We don't know where Marley is aside from that it's far away. I will speak with Hanji, there could be a promising expedition with the next round of recruits."

     "Hopefully Hanji is able to find something useful in Zeke's DNA that could answer some of our questions," Adria rolled her eyes.

      "You already figured out how to suppress Titan formation, perhaps you can now simulate one just as easily," Neal grunted. "Fucking Smith."

      "For the record, I never agreed with what was done to you. In Erwin's absence I remain Acting Commander, and you have my word that you will not be subject to such treatment," Keith raised his cup to them. "We will discuss more later, but for the love of Maria, don't do anything stupid Yelts."

       Adria downed the rest of her cup and gave a mock salute, "Commander."

      Neal's footsteps echoed after her down the corridor. Along the boardwalk, Adria watched two carts screeched into the assembly area. Bodies were bound in cloth or discarded capes in preparation for the pyre. A few Corps members lit the area with torches while others carried logs.

     "'Ria!" Neal called out.

      Adria didn't turn around but stood rigid.

      Neal stood behind her and his arms captured her shoulders in an embrace. She didn't flinch in repulsion at his touch, but her shoulders pricked in anticipation. Neal rested his chin on the crown of her head and exhaled a long breath. Adria bit her lip and ignored a group of Corps members which scuttled past in a flurry of hushed whispers.

     "Say the word and we'll go," Neal's breath ruffled her hair. "I have four years left. They can't be spent in Marley."

     "You're a coward," Adria's eyes shifted to the courtyard.

      A hooded Corps member, taller than the rest, had paused their movements to stare in Adria's direction. There were no distinguishable features from the darkness, but it caused her cheeks to flush in embarrassment at the public display.

      Neal turned her body to him, and he dropped onto one knee.

      Adria attempted to step back in disgust, but Neal's arms captured the back of her thighs and brushed the curve of her rear. He stared up at her as if it were just them, "One night with you, that's all I ask. That in itself would make my last four years' worth living. Please. Look at you, you fucking tease."