Chapter 17

Gustav's

I was ten and my younger brother was seven when Gwen Batalier, my biological mother, left us.

She cheated on Gustavo Adolfo Batalier, my father, she cheated with Marcus García. She left us for the García family, Malec's family.

I was ten and couldn't understand everything, all I understand was my own mother left us for another family.

Guston will always cry at night, asking where is she. Our family became lonely when she left but as the time passes, we moved on with our life, thought as I grow up, nakaramdam ako ng galit para sa ina ko. Inggit sa pamilya ni Malec dahil sila ang pinili ni Gwen.

Hindi kami pinabayaan ni Papa, kahit alam kong lubos siyang nasaktan at patuloy na nasasaktan noong mga panahon na iyon ay wala siyang ibang inisip kundi ang kapakanan namin ni Guston.

But life isn't on our side, my father's business got bankrupt, and we found out he has a lung cancer.

My younger brother was nine and I was twelve when Gustavo Adolfo Batalier died, my father died. Leaving us alone. Leaving me with Guston.

Twelve and dumb, I didn't know what to do. Our relatives kept us but didn't take care of us. Kinupkup lamang kami at hindi na inintindi pa, we're on our own, my brother and I were on our own that time.

I'm twelve and a spoiled brat, I grew up with wealth kaya't hindi ko alam ang gagawin ko nang bigla kaming mag hirap dahil sa pagkamatay ng Papa. Alam kong alam ni Gwen ang nangyari saamin noon ngunit wala akong narinig mula sakanya, wala siyang naging paramdam. She ignored us, me and Guston was so young when we first felt that nobody is on our side, not even our own mother.

Umapaw ang galit ko kay Gwen, lalo na sa pamilyang pinili niya sa mga panahong iyon. I was blinded with mourning and hatred that I didn't noticed Guston being sick. He had a high fever and it was already too late when I noticed it.

Like a damn spoiled dumb brat that I am that time, I didn't know what to do. I wanted to take him to the hospital but we didn't have enough money and our relatives who kept us was just making him drink cheap medicines and that didn't help.

I was twelve, and my brother was nine when he died. Dahil sa lagnat lamang, dahil walang pera, dahil wala akong alam. I am no God, I am no Doctor, wala pa ngang ilang buwan na pumanaw si Papa ay sumunod na si Guston. I failed at everything that time, I failed at taking care of my brother so I was left all alone.

Pulos paghihinagpis at galit ang naramdaman ko. Imagine my hatred towards the world? My hatred towards everyone? My hatred towards my mother? I loathed her the most, but when I finally saw her, I ran towards her like a crybaby that I am. I begged her to come back to us, come back to me because I'm so lonely and alone without father and Guston.

But she ignored me, she just deadass stared at me like she doesn't even know me. That was the time I first saw Malec, he was calling Gwen by her name, he's not even calling her 'Mom' but Gwen looked at him with full of love in her eyes. It was a heartbreaking view but that moment slapped me, that moment made me realized that Gwen, that woman ain't my mother anymore, she's a heartless woman and I hated her from the depths of hell.

And hearing Malec say that Gwen is his biological mother? Life must be playing with me. What the fvck did I do? Bakit hindi ko inisip na maari ngang kapatid ko siya?

We already did the nasty, we're like a couple. We acted like a couple and I was even considering him as my lover. Bakit kailangan mangyari ito?

Was Gwen been cheating on my father since I was two? How did she even have Malec? Hindi ko maisip. Paaanong nangyari ito? Hindi kaya nalilito lang si Malec? Hindi niya ba alam ang katotohanan? I am hoping he's wrong, because if he's not wrong, I'm so doomed.