Chapter 36

After lunch, Lisa finally calmed down enough to go home. I dropped her off while Zack made us something to eat before we went to his mom's place. I'd help Lisa one last time with the cuts on her back before we left my place.

As I pulled up in front of her house she turned to me with sad eyes, "Thank you for being such a good friend, Layla. You are a good person, I appreciate it." I nodded and offered her a soft smile. Before she climbed out of the car I told her, "Just give me a call if you need something." She nodded and closed the door after she stepped out. I watched Lisa cross her driveway to her front door, unlock it and go inside. I drove back to my place with an awkward smile on my face, a part of me was excited to be going home to Zack. Another part of me wasn't quite ready to process why I was excited about that.

Zack had made grilled ham and cheese sandwiches for lunch. I was so thrilled I proceeded to eat three of them. He smiled as he ate his own. It was the first time I'd pigged out in front of him and I was a little self-conscious. Zack seemed to notice my body language and shot me a heated look, "Don't you think for a second that you aren't the sexiest woman in the entire world to me. Eat as much as you want, baby."

I blushed slightly and nodded, "So, how come you used to pick on me so much about my weight?" He sighed and looked away, "I knew you would ask me that eventually." Leaning back in my chair, I smirked at him, "Well?"

"I'm not proud of it, but I went with the crowd. I always thought you were sexy as hell. I loved that you had curves, that you were round and soft. I always thought that but it wasn't accepted by the status quo. I wasn't brave enough to go against the grain and I know that's cowardly now but at the time I was a stupid kid who didn't know how to process it." he told me. I knew where he was coming from. High school was a terrible place to be different, it was hard enough to get through when you fit into the mold, nonetheless didn't.

I nodded and smiled, "So I'm sexy huh? Even when I look like a walrus?" Zack growled and shook his head. He stood up suddenly and moved around the table to pull me up so I was flush against his chest. He tangled his fingers into my hair, with his other hand he groped my hip roughly, he moaned into my ear, "You are the sexiest woman in the world, bar none. I can't get enough of you and I haven't even had the best part yet."

I chuckled and shook my head, "Walrus, remember?" Zack pulled my face to his in an intense kiss. It took my breath away. As he pulled away I whimpered slightly as he whispered in a husky voice, "More like a goddess." I couldn't help it, I enjoyed teasing him. I could feel his interest pressed against my thigh. I ran my fingertips over the back of his neck, sending shivers down his spine as I whispered, "Come now, we should get going to your mother's."

Zack groaned at my words but nodded, "Yeah, I know. Damn you got me all worked up." I winked playfully as I pulled him toward the front door. He knew I'd done it on purpose.

We drove to his mother's house in Zack's truck. He was calm but I was nervous. I had never met the mother of a boyfriend before. To be fair, I'd had a real boyfriend before either. As we parked I sucked in a deep breath silently. I was trying to compose myself. Zack shut the engine off and rubbed my leg in a comforting gesture. I glanced at him and smiled, "I'm fine." He nodded and opened the door, I followed.

His mother greeted us at the door with a pleasant smile, "Hello Layla. Nice of you to join me today. Come in, I made iced tea." I smiled and followed Mrs. Trulley into the house, Zack following behind us. She moved awkwardly through the living room and into a dining room where there was a large table with a box sitting on it. She sat down slowly in one of the chairs and groaned slightly, "Damn my hips and knees. Pisses me off." Zack shook his head with a smirk, "I'll go get us iced tea." He left to go to the kitchen, leaving me alone with his mother.

Mrs. Trulley studied me as I stood in the doorway between the living room and the dining room awkwardly. She lifted the lid from the box and showed it to me. It was a large meadow full of rainbow wildflowers, honey bees and deep blue skies. She smiled at me, "This one is two thousand pieces. Normally it would take me about a week but with you and Zack, we can do this in two afternoons." I moved through the doorway and sat at the table across from Mrs. Trulley. She dumped the pieces on the table and started to turn them all over, face up.

"I hope you like pork ribs because I got them in the slow cooker. I make my own sauce so it will be good." she told me. I joined her by flipping over the pieces and nodded. When Zack returned from the kitchen his mother reached out and held his arm, "Would you please go out and sweep the snow off my car? I'm not able to get out there on my own." He kissed the top of her head and nodded. Zack moved around behind me, leaned over and kissed the top of my head as well. As he left the room he told us, "Play nice girl."

I bit my lower lip and avoided eye contact with Mrs. Trulley. I couldn't believe she sent Zack away, the only buffer we had between us. I felt my heart rate speed up and my stomach turn over in knots. I could feel her glancing at me but I focused on turning over the puzzle pieces in front of me. After a few moments I heard her chuckle, "You know, Layla, I won't bite you."

"I know." I whispered defensively. There was an edge in my voice I hadn't intended to pass along. Mrs. Trulley smiled at me as I dared to glance up to meet her eyes. She sat back in her chair with her hands resting on the table, "Please, call me Tammy. I want you to feel comfortable here."

I smiled softly, "Alright Tammy. Thank you, I appreciate it." She nodded, "You are important to my son, so I want you and I to get off on the right foot. He seems very taken with you, he spends time at your house overnight. I just want to be sure that you and I are on the same page." As Tammy spoke, I didn't realize I had been holding my breath. In her own friendly way, she was issuing me a warning. She wanted to make sure I had the right intentions with her son. It was the cliche parent third degree conversation as seen on television.

I swallowed hard, trying to form my words carefully, "I enjoy your son's company a lot. He is a wonderful man." Tammy's eyes didn't show any emotion as she stared at me. I bit my lower lip before I continued, "He's the first guy I've ever felt like I could trust. It's a special feeling."

Tammy nodded slowly, "Zack is a very good man, just like his father. I'm glad you see it too." With that, she started putting pieces of the puzzle together as though we hadn't just had a very awkward conversation. She was testing me, I could see it.

"I like to start with the edges first. That way we just have to fill in the middle. You can start on the flower edge, it will be easier. As a rookie, you should get the easiest job." she teased. I smirked, "Thanks, Tammy." We exchanged a friendly look before we returned to the puzzle. She still made me nervous but I could tell she was making an effort, so I knew I had to as well.

Zack returned shortly after our little talk to join the puzzle. The three of us bantered back and forth all afternoon while we drank our iced tea. The puzzle was half done by the time we ate dinner. Tammy's ribs were delicious, and I made sure to tell her more than once. Zack and I cleaned up after dinner to do all the dishes for his mom.

"Will you come back tomorrow to finish the puzzle Layla?" she asked. I smiled and nodded. Tammy stood up slowly from her chair and moved around the table until she was in front of me. She reached over and squeezed my hand softly before she whispered, "Good. Zack and you can come for brunch. I'll make a scramble." Zack whistled, "Oh mom makes the best scrambles. You are in for a treat." He pulled his mother close into a tight hug, it was the sweetest thing. It felt a bit strange to be included in someone's family time, but I had to admit, the ice tea and puzzle were quite delightful.