Chapter 27

I sucked in a deep breath and shuffled my feet on the pavement beneath me. I searched his face and he searched mine, I said coldly, "So what do you want to do? Break up with me?"

Zack's eyes shot wide, "Is breaking up on the table now?" I shrugged my shoulders and lowered my eyes, "It sounds like you want to break up with me."

He sighed heavily and stood up from the steps. Zack reached out to me, he wrapped my arms around my waist and pulled my chest flush with his. He lifted my chin so I had to make eye contact with him as he whispered, "For a woman who claims to want a mature relationship, you seem uncomfortable with this mature conversation. I don't want to break up, but I want some things to change. It should be give and take, equally. Not me chasing you around, begging for a little attention."

I looked into his face and smiled slightly. I hated that he had a point. I'd made him work very hard to be with me. To be fair, he'd deserved it in the beginning. At the beginning, I didn't trust him and he had to earn it. Zack had pulled through every time, risen to every challenge. He had proven that he wanted to be with me. Now he was standing here, asking for a little credit.

"Ok." I whispered. Zack smirked at me, "Ok?" I rolled my eyes and wrapped my arms around his neck, "Ok, you have a point. I'm not used to being in relationships you know. I'm not used to someone wanting all my time and attention. It's going to take some getting used to."

Zack nodded, "I get that. I'm ok with giving you your space, baby. That's not an issue. I am not ok with being kicked out of your place after a night together." I sighed, "Ok, I'm sorry alright. I shouldn't have done that. I get it."

He chuckled, "Reluctant apology accepted." I glared playfully at him and kissed him. As I pulled away I pinched his butt and whispered, "Don't push it." Zack yelped slightly and pulled me closer. He kissed my temple and held me close. I tried not to let him notice, but as we stood close together I sucked in a deep breath. I'd missed the smell of his clothes, his shampoo, his shaving cream. His smell hit me like a tidal wave, I closed my eyes and let the aromas fill me up. I'd missed him more than I realized, at that moment I knew I was in trouble.

"Did you meet my mom?" he asked. I looked up at him and nodded, "Yeah. She, umm, told me about her arthritis. You've never mentioned that you live with her to help her out."

Zack smirked at me for a moment before he spoke, "You assumed I lived with my mom because I was too lazy to move out. I know that." I frowned and felt my face run hot, "Why didn't you tell me?" He chuckled and kissed my forehead, "I don't know. I guess I never really thought about it. I love my mom and she needs help, so the rest never really bothered me."

"I was just surprised. She told me you make it so she can stay here. That's really selfless." I told him. Zack rested his cheek against my forehead and whispered, "Well, I am a saint don't you know." I rolled my eyes and groaned while he chuckled.

"So are we all good?" I asked carefully. He peered down at me, "That depends, how are you going to make it up to me?" I could tell he was teasing; I took the bait, "Well, if your mom says it's ok for you to have a sleepover, you could come to my house for some... dessert." I felt my stomach clench at my terrible flirty words but I couldn't stop myself.

Zack's eyes widened slightly, "Hmm, that is tempting." I leaned into his chest a bit closer and said, "Maybe you could pack more than just a bag. Maybe you could have a drawer at my place, and a toothbrush in the bathroom." He pulled away slightly and forced me to look into his eyes, "Yeah? Are you sure about that?" I nodded.

I wasn't ready for Zack to have a key to my place but I was willing to let him have some space in my space. It was a compromise, and I was willing to allow him into my life. It felt strange to have a man want to be around that much. I wasn't used to it, but something told me that Zack wasn't going anywhere and a part of me was happy about that.