"Why?" Anakin asked, much less formally.

"With all due respect, it's none of your concern."

"It is, actually," you watched the back of his head tilt to the side, almost condescendingly. "Y/n is under my protection for the next 12 hours, so whatever business you have with her is also mine."

Sabè's face twisted in annoyance. She glared at Anakin and then her eyes shot to you, softening. "Y/n, please. Can we talk alone?"

Those damn brown eyes, so much like that of a doe. You had thought she was so sweet once...

"So now you want to talk to me?" You ask, masking the deeper question. Why should I?

The politician tapped her foot on the carpet, nervously or impatiently you couldn't tell. Her eyes kept flitting around the room, then into the hallway, then back to you. So she was nervous— Padmè definitely didn't know she was here, meaning whatever she had to say was really important.

"I want to explain," she said, voice getting quieter at the end. "You deserve to know."

Holding her stare for a moment longer, you decided that she was being sincere. You approached the door and crossed your arms over your chest, still keeping your distance with Anakin between you two.

"Where would we go?"

"I have my speeder. We can go for a ride." You visibly brightened— She remembered that was one of your favorite things to do.

"No. You'll stay here," Anakin's tone left no room for debate, immediately dashing your hopes and pissing you off.

"Why? I think a ride sound fine."

"You're under my watch, so I get to decide."

"No, you're at my service, so I get to decide."

"It's storming outside, Y/n, you shouldn't be driving out there in these conditions. Plus, you're still sick."

"I'll be sitting down," you argued. "And it's just a little bit of snow, it won't hurt us."

"It's not the snow I'm worried about," your eyes flick to Sabè, who's watching you patiently. But she's not the threat— none of the girls are. Anakin said so himself.

"I'll be fine for a couple of hours," you insist.

"I'm not willing to take that chance!"

"Well, I am!".

"Y/n," the sound of your name on his lips wasn't soft or warm like it usually was. Neither were his eyes on your face. If he wasn't mad at you before, he was now. "Don't make me discipline you before our mission even begins."

Those words stung. When you had thought of Anakin as being your boss, you'd thought of it in a fun way where you got to work with a friend. You hadn't really considered that he would be in charge of punishments and penalties, much less actually use them, especially against you.

"You want to punish me for going on a drive?"

"For undermining my authority."

"Your authority? Anakin, we're not on the battlefield yet!"

"I'm supposed to be looking out for you," the hand gripping the doorframe tightened. "Now please, take my advice and either stay here to talk, or tell her to leave."

No matter how bad you wanted to cave under the pressure of Anakin being mad at you, there was something hot and itchy blooming in your chest. It was one of the worst traits you'd picked up from being bossed around your entire life— stubbornness.