Chapter 5 - Painful Amnesia

Chapter 5

Brandon watched the door close behind the three Guardians and took a deep breath.

He wasn't particularly hungry, but for now he wasn't even remotely ready to retire back into his solitary room. Honestly too bored to resign himself to another twelve hours of solitary confinement Brandon went to follow them, but he had only taken a few steps before he was wishing that the sound of food didn't sound completely repulsive.

During the course of the last few minutes his inner battle had take a turn for the worse. Brandon realized that using a small amount of energy after only a few days of rest may not have been the best idea. Brandon put his arms across his stomach and closed his eyes as pain flashed down from his skull and settled in the pit of his core.

Brandon was so caught off guard by the sickness rising that he forgot not everyone had left the sparing room.

"Brandon?" Ezekiel said to him. He was a few feet away about to follow his brother stoop the kitchen , but he had caught Brandon's Ill posture. "What's wrong?"

Brandon opened his eyes and dropped his arms. "Nothing " he lied turning to Ezekiel with a smile. "Im fine."

Ezekiel came over to him. All traces of claw marks and blood had been healed and wiped completely from his skin. "You don't look fine." he said his eyes as blue as the sky above. He gave Brandon a once over from head to toe. "Did you hurt yourself? "

Brandon bit his inner cheek. He used the pain to dull the pull of the sickness. He had to be more careful. The last thing he needed was for Ezekiel to figure out his secret. Again. His memory loss of what had conspired in the clearing had been a miracle. Brandon took a step back and brushed a hand across his sweaty cheek.

"Im fine." Brandon lied again. Then to change the subject he smiled through his progressing nausea. "So what did you think of my epic victory over your brother?"

Ezekiels chuckled and said "No offense, but victory may be a bit of an overstatement Brandon."

Brandon rolled his eyes, even though he was happy that the topic change had worked. "Overstatement?" He asked him with a scoff. "Feeling a little sore for you brother? I thought I did pretty okay for a mortal."

Ezekiel shook his head. "Im not saying that you didn't do good, but what if there hadn't been a table full of things like hand cuffs to use? Its good to be smart, but what if Lander had actually caught you, what then?" he questioned. "You always seem so confident in yourself and it makes me nervous. But it kinda makes me wonder..... Why too?"

Brandon rolled his eyes again. He walked over to the wall next to the table. " Don't get all over protective on me Blue boy, I would have been fine." he said and shrugged away the seriousness of the moment trying to bring a measure of distance back between them. But slowly he felt the gap between them swelling, filling with words, questions that Brandon desperately wanted to avoid.

"You have to stop worrying so much. In a few more days I'm not gonna be around for you to mother hen and I wonder what you'll do with yourself" Brandon said. Then going for another subject change he looked back at Ezekiel and exclaimed. "Anyway. Come on Ezekiel. Let's see some of that amazing stealth that Shifters are so famous for. Do a flip or something cool for me."

Ezekiel smiled knowing smile. Of course he knew that Brandon was changing the subject but he didn't seem to mind much. He grabbed the bloody towel off his neck and dropped it to the ground. "How's this?" He asked before, with a little bounce, he took off.

He ran right into, then up the wall next to the weapons table, then flipped twice. And effortlessly came back down onto his feet with a grace and speed that was all big cat.