"I know at least ten people off the top of my head that would be more than willing to go with you—"

    "Sure, but I'm asking you." She quips back with ease, "You only have so much time left before you leave, I'd like to see you at least once . . . twice if I'm lucky." He rubs the heel of his palm into his eye as he sighs, thinking about the options he has.

Firstly, he could tell her to fuck off and hang up the phone. It's something he's done before, it's not something that has driven her away, and he has to commend her for her persistence, despite it being on the borderline between weird and admirable. Secondly, he could use this opportunity to quench whatever need she has to see him before he leaves for school. It would be easy, a solid couple of hours in her presence with free alcohol, something he could manage. Maybe she'll be more enjoyable without the presence of everyone else from school, he thinks to himself, because while he would much rather stay home, he knows it's much easier to get it over with now than perpetuate her for longer.

    "So?" She speaks up after his silent, thinking spell and with a heavy, drawn out sigh, he agrees.

    "Fine." A high pitched squeal is heard on the other end of the phone, nearly causing him to drop the phone as he flinches, but as she quiets down, he pushes the phone into his ear again.

    "I'll pick you up, okay? Probably around seven—oh, and you don't have to dress too nice, but don't come in like . . . sweats—and there's gonna be a lot of people there, so just—"

    "Do you even know where I live?" He asks her bluntly, cutting into her rambles, and with a silent pause, he rolls his eyes while receiving his unspoken answer.

    "I would've figured it out had I not asked." She murmurs and he nearly lets out a laugh, "So, where's your place at?"

Once sharing details over the phone, he ends the call as quickly as he can and spins around, only to face his curious, smiling mother as she rolls out whatever dough was powdered up. He doesn't say anything at first, placing the phone back where it was with his lips sealed, but once he made eye contact with her, it was game over. His mother knew about Cindy, she knew about the efforts made and the enthusiasm Cindy expressed towards him, which is probably why his mother makes him answer the phone every time she calls.

And now, she wants the details.

    "So?"

    "I'm going to hangout with her later." Is all he says to his mother, and it was all he planned on saying until seeing the look in her eyes, one he sees more often now that his father wasn't in the picture, and he's deemed it as happiness. He isn't sure why his mother gets so uppity about him spending time with Cindy, especially with the big move in the next month, but deep in his sullen soul, he likes seeing his mother like this way more than how she was before. "Her uncle is having a bar opening, she invited me to go with her."

    "Oh, that sounds like fun!" His mother exclaims with excitement, as if she was the one going instead of him. He doesn't verbally reply, only nodding his head with his eyes flickering to the floor and his feet moving along the tile of the kitchen. "Right?" His mother asks, causing him to freeze in place before turning around and facing her.

    "Sure." He replies, forcing a tight lipped smile to his face as he shrugs his shoulders, and despite his response coming from a place of force, insincerity even, his mother's smile continues to beam as she nods her head. "Is that all?" He asks her as if he had something else to do besides pace in his room and overthink how the next twelve or so hours will go.

She doesn't say anything in response to his question, but sets the wooden rolling pin on to the counter and wipes her hands on the apron tied to her body, and he watches as she walks towards him with confusion plaguing his eyes. He stays put, hands in his pockets and his lips in a small frown, and as his mother gets closer, she wraps her arms around him for a hug. He can't remember the last time she hugged him, he's always been grateful that she's never been the kind to push boundaries like that, but now, she seems to ignore his tensed body and only squeezes him tighter.