Chapter 25 | What Awaits

"Who you portray is different from who you truly are."

Ren ended up carrying all of Sakura's purchases for her on their way back to her inn, accompanying her to the front door to make sure that she was alright. Nothing much was exchanged, other than their small bickering every once in awhile when they were shopping around, all was well between the two. The appearance of the Sword Hero and the Dagger Hero together in public has taken the attention of the people too. Though, Ren and Sakura could care less of what they have to say.

"I can take it from here."

Sakura turns around before she entered her own room to look at the raven who was carrying four bags of clothing. One for each of Sakura's members. "You sure you can carry all four of these with one hand?"

"I can lift heavier things."

"I'm not talking about how heavy it is." Ren lifts both his hands to show two bulky bags on each hand. "I'm talking about how four bags wouldn't fit in one hand. Besides, you won't be able to open the door."

There is an easy fix to that, but Sakura was much too tired to argue even more with the latter. Sighing, she opens her inn door and let him inside to drop the paper bags down the floor beside her door. Ren didn't waste any more of her time and carefully put it down.

"The Queen invited us heroes to the castle tomorrow, by the way. Make sure that you'll be there." He reminds.

At that reminder, Sakura's mind flashed back to her discussion with the Queen and Naofumi at the castle earlier today. She is one of the people who are very much needed in the castle tomorrow for what is to come. Ren just doesn't know it yet. For now, he'll remain clueless to what will happen.

"Yeah, I was told." She muttered, stealing a glance at him from the corner of her eyes. "Any idea why?"

"Well, they only said that it's for an important discussion. They didn't really tell me the details to it." Ren planted his hands on his hips and looked up at the ceiling of her room, letting out a small tired sigh. "Maybe the Queen will reward us for defeating the Pope or something."

Sakura lets out a scoff at his guess.

"It was our job to do so."

"Heh," Ren turned his body to face her, planting one of his hands flat on her head. He gently rubs on her hair and said, "Rest well. We may have a long day ahead of us tomorrow."

Though Sakura was itching to slap his hand off of her, she chose not to and just let him take it off out of his own will. She watches as he walked out of her room and sent her a small smile. "Goodnight, Sakura."

"Yeah, goodnight." She mumbled. "Ren?"

The latter stops just when he was about to walk further down the wooden stairs. Glancing back at her, he raises an eyebrow rather than voicing his confusion.

"Head back safe."

"I will." He smiled one last time before completely disappearing from her sight.

Sakura lets out a sigh that she didn't notice she was holding, eyes directing themselves down to the bags on her floor. "Now for the hard part."

***

"Haru!"

"Haru!"

"Haru!"

Aggressive knocks pulled poor Haru from his blissful sleep, forcing him awake so early in the morning. His eyes squinted, feeling the slight sting when the sunlight passed through his room's window to add in his morning irritation.