49

If I thought the drugs were strong the last time I woke up in a hospital bed, they were nothing compared to the ones that were flowing through my body now.

My head was light and heavy at the same time, my body calm and floating through the air. Though, I knew I wasn't really floating. I could feel the scratchy sheets on my skin again, the gown that didn't fit anyone the way it was supposed to fit. I knew there was a reason I shouldn't be so calm, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. I didn't want to, either. I wanted to stay here, I wanted to stay floating.

Yet, as if my mind was telling me I needed to wake up, my eyes opened slowly on their own accord. Dr. Martin was peering down at me, an uneasy expression on his face.

"Lilly," he stated, narrowing his eyes, "how are you feeling?"

"Feel good," I slurred out slowly, "I like the drugs."

Dr. Martin's uneasy expression melted away, a small smile replacing his frown. "I'm glad to hear that, Lilly. You were very lucky, we were quite concerned. You were hit in the face when you already had a concussion, sometimes when that happens, the results can be very dangerous. You've had a number of scans however, and everything seems to be okay. Your mom is here, she's been kept up to date."

I looked around the hospital room at the mention of my mom, suddenly remembering there should be other people in it. At the very least, Clara and my mom should be here. They weren't, why?

"Lilly, no one is here because the police need to take your statement. Is that okay with you? Do you feel ready to speak with them?"

"Police?" I asked, shaking my head but stopping immediately when I felt pain.

"Yes, Lilly. Can I send them in?" Dr. Martins asked.

I nodded, though hesitantly. As Dr. Martin left, it didn't take long for the memories to come rushing back. Jesse, the pain, Samuel punching Brett, Roman hitting Jesse. Roman hitting Jesse. Roman hitting Jesse.

A feeling of unease came over me once I remembered everything that happened. The one thing that I desperately wanted not to happen, happened. Jesse was going to mad, he was going to be furious. And now, instead of taking that anger out on me, he could take it out on Roman too. I knew it, I had all this time. I knew if I allowed Roman, he would fall into my pool of lies. He'd drown right along with me.

"Lilac Green?" I heard a voice say into the air. I raised my head up to the door, watching as as two tall men in police uniforms walked into my room. They must be here because of Brett's dad. They must be here to get information about Roman and Samuel. They were going to get punished for what they did. It was inevitable, wasn't it?

"Yes," I muttered, watching as they walked towards my bed. Their mouths were both straight, a look of seriousness on their faces. Though, when the one with brown hair looked at me, I could have sworn I saw emotion swimming in his eyes.

"We're here to take your victim statement about the events that occurred today at your school," the police officer spoke. "I'm Officer Paye and this Officer Gide. Are you feeling well enough to answer our questions?"

"I guess so," I muttered, not seeing a way to avoid it.

"Great," he said as he pulled out a pad of paper, he wrote on it for a second, before he looked back towards me. "Can you tell us what happened?"

"Look," I huffed out, "I didn't really see anything. I  had just got hit in the face, I wasn't exactly watching everything go down," I lied, because that's exactly what I was attempting to do before I blacked out. "Besides, can you blame them? Jesse and Brett started it!"

The officer wasn't writing anything down, instead he was staring at me with a confused look on his face. "Miss Green, I'm not sure what you're talking about. We're here to collect your victim statement about the assault committed against you by one," he looked quickly down at his notepad, "Jesse Smit."

I launched my head backwards as he said the words, thoroughly overtaken by surprise. For so long I had assumed Jesse was really untouchable as he bragged about being. I had taken his words about getting away with everything at face value, yet... as it seems, none of that was true.

"I'm sorry," I whispered, "I misunderstood."

"That's okay, Miss Green," the policeman said, seemingly unaffected by my strange behaviour. "Can you tell us what happened?"

"Well, um," I stuttered, in a horrible moment of self doubt. "Do I get to decide if I want to press charges?"

"No," he said quickly, shaking his head. "There were many witnesses. We don't even need your statement, necessarily, but it would make things easier."

"Oh," I breathed out, a sudden rush of relief blooming in my stomach. "I was trying to break up with Jesse, and he punched me in the face."

"Okay," he said as he began writing down notes, "and that's everything? Did he attempt to hit you again once you fell to the ground or did he utter any threats?"

I searched the blurred memories, shaking my head once I was done.

"You'll need to provide a written statement at a later date, preferably in the next week or so. Mr. Smit was arrested and taken into custody, he will be released on bail early tomorrow. If you feel unsafe or threatened by Mr. Smit, I urge you to go down to the courthouse and petition for a restraining order," the officer stated quickly, as if he had said the words a thousand times before.

"Get well soon," they both wished me before leaving my hospital room. They closed the door behind them, allowing me to breathe out a large sigh. I didn't have time to process my thoughts, before the door opened once again. Clara strode into the room this time, heading straight towards my bed.

"Lilly," she gushed out, I could see the red around her eyes. She had been crying, and that fact alone was alarming. I can't remember the last time I had seen Clara cry. "I'm so glad you're okay."

"What happened?" I asked her instantly, allowing her to hug me but not hugging her back. My body was too stiff, my head was too painful to move too much.

"Well, once you passed out, I called 911. They sent the police and the ambulance. While the paramedics were tending to you, they arrested Jesse. I swear to god they almost had to arrest me too because I was five more minutes away from becoming an actual murderer. And it would be worth it too, because he deserves death. He deserves worse than death, Lilly. I'm so sorry that happened to you."

"Clara, take a breath babe," I said gently, slowing raising my hand to take hers. "At least he got arrested, I honestly didn't think that was going to happen."

Clara didn't look happy at the news, nor did she looked relieved for me. She looked down instead, sheepishly staring at the blankets on top of my bed.

"What? Tell me." I urged her.

"He wasn't the only one who got arrested, Lilly. They arrested Roman and Samuel too."

"Fuck," I muttered, though I wasn't surprised. "They shouldn't have done what they did. I told them this was going to happen."

"You can't blame them. In fact, they weren't the only guys trying to get a swing in when they saw what happened. I don't think you realize just how horrible it was, Lilly. It was... it was like a movie. As soon as we realized what happened, well, we all kind of lost control. It's something you should never see."

I nodded at her words, unsure what she expected me to say. I think I realized then just how conditioned to accept his behaviour I had become. It wasn't shocking to me anymore, it wasn't scary. It wasn't surprising, it was the opposite, it was predictable. And suddenly, I was disgusted by myself. How could I have let this go on?

"There's something else Lilly," Clara pulled me from my thoughts. "Your mom wants to tell you, but... I can't keep it a secret. She'll be in here soon to tell you anyways."

I titled my head, wondering what my mother could have possibly told Clara that couldn't wait a few minutes more. But, as she spoke, instantly I understood.

Though, there was a part of me that was crushed in sadness, as the tears from both Clara's and mine's eyes displayed, there was another part of me that was relieved.