13| coffee, the best medicine

Start from the beginning

"Huh?" I look at her while she smiles back shaking her head as she approaches the counter.

"He is my dad." I choke my saliva so I couldn't spit it over her face.

"What?" I groan thinking it's been another moment where I want to dig my own grave and happily stay underground.

She giggles and her unusual mood springs out making me stumble back. She always plasters a scowl whenever anyone tries to either flirt or ask for help. The way her lips turn downward alerts students to stay as far as possible.

"It's okay after all you are right. Coffee is the best fu*king medicine and I am sorry from my dad's side." I chuckle humorlessly not knowing what to say or not. I am still in shock as to how she is so free, her brown eyes are like my iced coffee, cold yet sweet.

I rub my hands on my apron and stretched my hand to shake. She smiles placing her cold hand on mine making me smile. "Hi. I am Sapphira and it's okay. Mistakes happen and I guess we all have that particular  Satan day." I air quote Satan day making her giggle.

"I am Madeleine and I think you know me. We have our music class together."

Well, that's right we do have our music class together and she is too good at playing violin, the strings she pulls to each beat like a qualified musician are appreciable. I nod my head. "I do like how you catch the ball so easily." I awe remembering at how swiftly she caught the ball just when it was about to reach the boundary line.

"Do you need anything?" We pull back our hands as she looks aside at the chart hanging behind me. She nods her head.

"Yeah. Can I have Frappuccino?" Its other name is Caffe Affogato, a famous drink in Italian and damn the taste of cold and hot is what makes my tongue eager to sip the liquid whenever I am in a foul mood.

"And what flavor do you prefer? There are vanilla bean, caramel, and mocha." I suggest.

"I shall have the vanilla bean." I nod walking toward the drawer to pull a white tumbler cylindrical mug, then towards the ice-cream container, opening the latch and scooping the vanilla flavor, and dumping it inside the mug. I head to the coffee machine, placed it underneath the pipe where the liquid will pour, pressed the silver button, and waited for a few minutes as the liquid poured filling half of the recycle container.

I close the lid and offered the mug to her. She thanks me and gave me the required amount. As she reaches the door, she looks over her shoulder and asked "Friends?" I smile not interested to show her any 'aww' emotions.

"Yes. See you later."

"Bye."

-

"Why do you think the Roman government stopped coining in silver? And which metal did it begin to use for the production of coinage?" I ask Theodore who is busy scratching his neck through his pencil.

Days after day he kind of proceeded with a good memory but there were certain days when he needs a good push to have his brain recall what he learned earlier.

He looks guilty but it's okay, there are certain limitations that we all should consider. I sigh placing my hand on his shoulder and squeezing lightly.

"It's okay Dora, no harm if you forgot. Okay, we will recall what we learn the day before yesterday, okay?" He nods his head. I stand up and walk downstairs dodging Theo's call from behind.

"Good evening, Maria." I smile at the kind-hearted woman who works so hard to lift her daily wages. Theo always speaks so fondly about her as if she is his mother.

She turns back smiling at me "Hello madam." I groan.

"Don't call me madam. Do you know the female leader of a brothel is called madam?" Maria gasps at how bluntly I spoke but I don't want that madam sh*t tag.