"The dress! The dress!" Nuala shouts and I smile as I stand up and use my powers to place the black sparkling dress on me. Nuala and Cerridwen laugh in children's joy as I twirl around in the dress. They stare at me as if I was an actual princess. I wink at them as I snap my fingers and two miniature black ball gowns appear on them, and they squeal in joy. The pair of them quickly run out of my rooms--most likely to show my mother what I put on them. I soon find myself sitting on my balcony's ledge looking up at the stars. I know I should go to our ballroom--considering this ball was for me, but I have missed the sight of them over the past few weeks. I could not imagine going years without seeing them.

"Thank you," I whisper to the stars, "For bringing me back home."

"Who are you talking to, sister?" I hear Rhysand's voice from the doorway and almost fall off the ledge as he sneaks up on me. I narrow my eyes at him but then look back up to the sky.

"The stars." I admit, and Rhys lets out a small chuckle as he joins me on sitting on the ledge. I notice he is also ready for tonight's ball in his usual all black attire.

"Why is that?" He asks me.

"Because they listen," I smile as I take in the thousands of shining lights in the sky, "The stars listen, Rhys."

"I think you spent too much time in the Spring Court, you may be going insane." Rhys nudges my arm but he also looks up to the stars, and his smile somehow turns into something lighter, "What do you tell them about?"

"My dreams." I respond. I have always found myself talking to the stars, even as a child--it was a habit I never grew out of.

"And do they answer?"

"We will see."

We sit there looking at the stars for a long while before Rhys finally nudges me and points out that we should go. I silently say goodbye to the stars as I turn around and hop onto the balcony. Rhys and I walk side by side into the ballroom, where everybody is already dancing and chatting. I break off into a run when I see a familiar blonde.

"What are you doing here, cousin?" I wrap my arms around Mor as she laughs.

"There was said to be such an important announcement that even the monsters crawled out from under the mountain just to hear it." She winks at me, "Should we go find some pretty pink dresses for you now, Lady of Spring?"

"Never call me that again." I warn her and she tilts her head back and laughs. I look over to her family--and mine, unfortunately, and grimace at the sight of them.

"It is a shame--black fits you so well. This dress is to die for, you must let me borrow it some time." She runs her hand over the cape part of my dress and I yank it from her hand.

"Over my dead body." I smirk at her, and she raises her eyebrows at me.

"We can arrange that." Mor says with a horrifying grin that makes me laugh even harder."So tell me, is this Tallisan as handsome as everyone thinks him to be?"

"No," I say simply, "He looks like every other male in the Spring Court. He is not the ugliest male I have ever seen but he is not the most handomse I have seen."

"And who is?" She asks.

I open my mouth and shut it quickly when I realize who I was about to say, Mor knowingly smiles at me and I narrow my eyes at her.

"Please tell me you found a way out of that engagement." She whispers to me.

"Of course I did, why did you think I decided to stay at the Spring Court?"

"Ladies," I turn around as I hear men trying to get our attention, one clears his throat as he tries speaking to me, "May I have a dance? To--to congratulate you on your engagement of course."

"Of course you may, Lord Warren." I say sweetly, and his eyes widen in surprise--as if he was not expecting me to say yes. I would have said no if it were another man, but Lord Warren had always been kind to me. I take his arm, and look back to Mor to wink at her, as he leads me out onto the dance floor. A faster paced song starts and he manages to keep up with my dancing--most men cannot.

"You look astonishing tonight," Lord Warren gives me a nervous smile that quickly fades, "not that you do not look great every night--oh by the cauldron."

"I understand. Thank you." I let out a light laugh that seems to calm him. We quickly end the first dance and then more men come up to ask me to dance. I have not danced in a good amount of time so I oblige them just so I get a chance to dance some more. By the eigth dance, I politely decline any other requests to dance with me. I sit down at an empty table--instead of my chair at my mothers side--as I catch my breath. I sit back as I observe everyone dancing and enjoying themselves.

"This dance is to celebrate you and you are here lurking in the shadows." Azriel pulls out a chair and sits beside me. 

"I learn from the best." I say and he lets out a chuckle that makes my heart glow. We sit in silence for a while, just watching the people dance and talk--until my brother saunters over to us and sits down at our table, my cousin following after him. They do not say anything as they sit down, and join us in quietly watching the people.

"I found a way out of it." I whisper. Rhys and Az look to me in surprise, "The Spring Court may or may not still fight beside us, but Tallisan is most likely planning his wedding with the King of Hybern's niece."

"How the hell did you manage that?" Rhys asks with a laugh.

"You do not want to know."

"We do not need the Spring Court anyway." Azriel points out when he notices the regret written in my eyes.

"It would be nice to even out the numbers for the battles ahead." I say.

"Those preppy men from that court can barely hold a sword without falling over-- we will be fine." Mor adds with a smile. I look to the empty seat at the table and wish Cassian were here--he would calm my fears about me not being able to keep the Spring Court on our side. The three of them go into talking about something as my father stands up to make a toast--no doubt for my engagement so I just ignore it as I try to listen to Rhysand speak about where the first battle will be.

"... and our union with the Spring Court is not even the best part," My father's voice booms through the ballroom and I begin paying attention at those words, "We will also have a union between the Night Court and the Autumn Court."

I look to Rhysand in confusion--to find him also confused. The Autumn Court does not have any daughters to betroth to Rhysand to my knowledge--unless--

I look to Mor as I see her figuring out what is happening the same time as I do. Rhysand was not the one being used to form a union between the Autumn Court and our court.

"Thanks to my dear cousin, Keir, for offering his all powerful Morrigan to be wed to the eldest son of the Autumn Court!" My father holds his drink up and the people applaud and cheer. My heart drops as the four of us sit in silence as the realization sets in. I grab Mor's hand and hold it as I feel her begin to shake.

Can we not just get a break?

"Look at me," I say to her as she stares at the ground, "Look at me."

She slowly looks up to me with tears in her brown eyes and my heart breaks at the total defeat written there. We all know the eldest Atumn Court son was known for his cruelty. If I thought Tallisan was horrid--Eris Vanserra was ten times worse.

"You listen to me, Morrigan, I will not allow this to happen. We will find a way for you to get out of this." I place my hand on her cheek, "Do not give in to this."

She nods against her tears and quickly wipes them away, "I was a fool to think I could be free," Before I can argue with her she continues, "I will fight it, Velaris, I will find a way out--just like you did."

"You do not have to go through this alone." I say to her.

"I won't." She says, and I can tell she is already plotting for how she is going to get out of this betrothal.