Chapter Four

"It is sometimes hard to grasp the difference between identifying with one's own roots, understanding people with other roots, and judging what is good or bad."
-Umberto Eco

⇠✦✧✦✧✦✧✦✧✦✧✦✧✦✧⇢

Shinso left Kirishima to stare at his stock of drinks on the desk not knowing what he did wrong. In her shoes he'd have been happy someone did this for him. He practically lived by that golden rule they taught in grade school.

He collected the drinks, so she wouldn't be bothered by them when the next class started, then rushed after her.

He walked blindly, not knowing where Y/N went to get away from people. That's when he heard someone mention his name from inside a different abandoned classroom.

"Kirishima wishes well."

"I know that." Y/N said in response to Shinso's consoling. "But I don't want him to. I need to hate him. It feels wrong otherwise. Like I'm betraying their memory."

"They wouldn't think that."

"How would you know? You've never met them!" She snapped.

Shinso didn't draw back at her harsh tone. Instead he put an arm around her to comfort her. "Y/N, no good person would think that."

Y/N's first thought was that he implied her family weren't good people, but she knew he wouldn't. She knew he was right, too. She knew all of that, but it didn't change how she felt. She hated him.

The bell rang and Kirishima left before they could find him. Shinso and Y/N walked to class in silence, Y/N processing her mixed emotions.

He's obviously trying hard, and it's not his fault. He doesn't know. She thought, but even with that logic she couldn't shake how wrong she felt trying to pardon him for what he didn't do.

It's like when a pitbull bites you, so all pitbulls are evil. It's wrong, and you may know it's wrong, but it doesn't change anything. You're still scared of pitbulls.

In class Kirishima momentarily gave up on trying to see her smile. There were no embarrassing acts he put on or random accidents led by him; it was quiet.

Kirishima was busy thinking about who they were. Y/N sounded incredibly sad when talking about them and it was obvious whoever they were, is the reason she hates him.

The day ended quickly and silently. They were once again to visit Fatgum's agency, and this time they left the dorms together to avoid Y/N being late. Tetsutetsu also tagged along.

The train ride was nothing like class. It was quiet between the two, but with a heavy air. Kirishima was building up the nerve to ask about them, but Y/N was just grateful for his silence. A quiet Kirishima was easier to ignore. Unfortunately, the tag along was curious.

"What's with the silence, Kirishima and L/N?" He asked.

Y/N never spent too much time around Class 3-B, so it made sense he thought she was being quiet. In reality this is how she usually is.

Kirishima smiled. "Just tired."

Y/N recognized the kind of smile he gave. Fake with no meaning behind it, just to deter any more questions. When she saw it, she became incredibly curious why he was in a mood, but was not going to question it. If he was upset it would be quiet.

Time skip brought to you by Tetsutetsu riding a shark.

They were going on a patrol. It was a quiet day--too quiet. Aside from Kirishima not trying to make any conversation, there were no villains. Usually there was a purse thief, or even some guy making a fuss in a store, but there was nothing.