"His Majesty arrives!" An eunuch called from outside and instantly some fidgeting approached them.

Li Lian and Cai Wenjin went on their feet and rushed to the entrance where they bowed as Yuwen Hong entered.

"Greetings to His Majesty."

The familiar woodsy scent of his wafted in the air as he passed. He was garbed in the magnificence of blue robes, unlike the formal wear he had on earlier when she met him.

Yuwen Hong made himself at home by lodging himself on the elevated zabuton that Li Lian was seated on. 

"No reason for formalities. Come and sit with me." Yuwen Hong placed down the birdcage he held, carrying the infamous Qi Qi.

Cai Wenjin did not waste time running to sit next to her father. "Fuhuang! I am happy to see you!" Her mood was instantly more cheery than before.

Li Lian delayed on her spot, feeling a little awkward. She was a person who felt things should be first resolved before moving on. One thing she despised most was pretense with the people she cared about. Not that she was not already doing much of it with all the lies existing between them.

Yuwen Hong gave Li Lian an unsure eye after his little exchange with his daughter.

He cleared his throat. "I have come... because Qi Qi missed you."

"Ah... that is nice." Li Lian went to sit at his other side and took the cage from him.

It had been months since she saw the bird. In the midst of all her busy days, she forgot to visit Qi Qi. Which was weird. If she was a descendant of birds, why didn't she care much for them?

Especially Qi Qi. Li Lian felt a weird jealousy towards the bird. The one a dog carried when it saw another dog get attention from their human friend.

So all in all, she didn't like Qi Qi much. It reminded her of the time she wanted Qi Qi from Yuwen Hong and he refused. It was for the best because Li Lian had secretly wanted to starve the bird.

Why? Just for fun.

She was a horrible human being. She loved the dog owned by Noble Consort Qi, while the pet owned by her beloved, she wanted to punish.

Qi Qi noisily screeched as he realised he had been handed into different hands that were not his owner's. The parrot gave her a sly eye and sang, "Idiot!" Then went on to whistle until Yuwen Hong took him back.

Only Cai Wenjin laughed, finding the situation funny.

"Qi Qi, didn't you say you missed Li Lian?" Yu'er couldn't help laughing at his failed lie.

"Idiot!" Qi Qi spoke back, and at this point Li Lian bit her lips, doing her utmost not to laugh out loud too. Yu'er was using the antiques similar to his harem to grovel for her attention. How could she stay annoyed?

"Fuhuang, look, this is my robe for the ceremony. Is it not beautiful?"

Yuwen Hong looked through their current work with more interest than Li Lian expected he would have. "Very beautiful," he muttered in awe and gave her a look of pride. He was proud of her work and he looked down to her hands as if they belonged to a physician saving lives, when all she did was make clothing.

"It is Her Highness Wei who made it, Fuhuang!"

Yuwen Hong nodded. "She is beyond good."

"My thanks to His Majesty." Li Lian slightly bowed.

"Li Lian―"

"Fuhuang, I was just cutting the material, do you want to cut with me?"

Li Lian knew what he was about to say before he was interrupted. He wanted to apologise. She saw it by the softness in his eyes.