Chapter 11

I get back to the barn and check on the horses. Buck is a bit scared from the thunder, but other wise he is okay. I feed the horses. When they are all done I jump on Dream and ride off to the field where I found Star. 

I dismount her and for some reason I feel like someone is watching. I look up on the hillside and see Lucy and her mom. She waves at me. I wave back. Crap.

"Oh, I am so dead." I mumble. Lucy comes down from the hill and greets me. 

"Hi." She cheerfully says. I fake a smile.

"Hey." I greet. She has that big smile plastered on her face like how when I met her. There is a long moment of silence before Lucy breaks it.

"So I was wondering if you would like to come on a trail ride with my mom and I." She says to me. I'm not sure what to say.

"Um... sure." I say, hesitant. She smiles even bigger. I'm surprised her lips don't fall off of her face. 

"Okay. How about later in the day tomorrow?" She suggests.

"Okay." I mumble. She waves goodbye. She spins on her heels and heads back to her mom. 

"What have I gotten myself into, Dream?" I turn around, but I do not see her.

"Dream?" I shout. I run around the forest, just hoping to find her. I see a figure in the trees. It's Dream. I sigh in relief. I run up to her and

"Dream, don't ever run away like that again!" I scold. She looks at something. It's the wild horse auction.

"Oh. My. Gosh." I whisper. Most of the time these horses go to slaughter. People rarely want mustangs. A part of me wants to leave, but another wants to see them. Then again, that's only a part wanting to leave.

I feel in my pocket. I have some of my money in there. It's about 70 dollars. That's okay, since these horses are $50-200. First up is a stallion. Someone buys him for $100.

There's a few more horses that are sold. Next is a filly. She gallops around the arena, bucking and kicking.

"Can we get a fifty? Fifty dollars." The man asks. No one is bidding on her. I can't believe I'm about to do this.

"Fifty!" I call out. 

"Alright we got fifty dollars over here. anyone else? fifty dollars." Nobody else bids on her.

"Going once. Going twice. And sold to the little lady right here."

 I'm not going to keep her. I have a special plan for her, and it will start tomorrow when I go on that trail ride. She's going to have a good home.