-Where End Meets Beginning-

Oh, I got an ao3 where I'll be posting hot 'n spicy content so keep an eye out through the link in my bio. For this, why can't I stop thinking of sad prompts? Guess I should probably put a warning or something for major character death and blood~

You didn't realize you were screaming until after you watched the blast hit and he was already falling. He had been at a distance from you - too far for you to get to him in time but close enough for you to see what came next. It only took the adjustment of your reins upon your mare, a sharp intake of the thin chilled air from the height you were at in such a layer of the atmosphere when the blue-white flash momentarily blinded your widened eyes. You reached out as if to grab for him but could only cling to the air. His name escaped your lips in a throat-shredding cry from the top of your lungs that frightened even you. But the terror wasn't nearly as heart-stopping, will never be as blood-chilling, as the sight of the Nightmare King clutching at the robes over his upper abdomen while falling to his knees upon the platform of sands.

The sinking of your heart was numbing as his face twisted in agony and the platform disintegrated beneath him, causing him to topple and allow gravity to take him over before you could rush to him. The next thing you knew from several meters away, his body was going limp as he began to fall from the clouded sky.

Another shriek of denial of the image your vision drank in scraped at your vocal cords, senses overwhelming you and beginning to already spill out from your eyes in tears. Your sight was clouded by the horror of it all, but you could still take in and remember every second of it as if it were happening in slow motion. You could feel him slipping away while he was already far ahead of you and not yet in your hold, and you could do nothing but scramble to usher your nightmare to rush toward him.

You weren't entirely sure of your intentions at first as you urged your mare again to speed down closer to her falling master without dropping you from her back in the process. You gripped the reins until your knuckles turned white as tears began to obscure your vision while holding on to the creature with your legs as she galloped you down through the wind to the earth. Your heart raced faster than the mare's hooves to the point that your surroundings spun past your vision in a blur, and you feared that you may faint before having the chance to take on the consideration of catching the king's fall with your steed. However, the unsettling thud causing dust to fly in the air and your chest to tighten from that limp cloaked form slamming into the earth signaled to you that you were too late.

Your breaths were sharp and louder than the winds past your face and ears, and your mind could no longer process anything else besides the beginning of your sobs in between frightened screams and the image of the King of Nightmares laying nearly unconscious in a sprawled position on the ground below from having been knocked out of the sky. The translucent shard protruding from just below his chest was no help to the sight either.

It was only moments before your mare's speed slowed to ease the landing from your descent, but you swung one leg over from her back to swiftly dismount before her hooves hit the ground anyway.

"Pitch!" You called out past the rawness in your throat from your screams.

The rage of the winds by your ears had quieted and was replaced with the soft breeze of the distant trees. Over the uneasy calm of the atmosphere was then the sound of your combat boots stomping through the mud to race the few meters over to the Nightmare King's body. Heart still pounding and breaths still in uneven panting intakes from the trip down from mid-air, you quickly knelt down to Pitch's side.

"Nononononono, no, no...no..." your lower lip was trembling and you felt as if all your oxygen had been knocked out of you. You found yourself reaching out for him to start carefully sliding his upper body into your lap with hopes that you wouldn't cause further pain or disturb any state of rest he may be in.