2

Chapter 2 | Uncle Ben

▪︎Lorenzo Miller▪︎

Our walk to the bus station was 10 minutes or so long and the silence was filled with us discussing our next steps for our runaway plan, even though I still believed that stealing a truck would be better.

Once we reached to the bas station, we sat at the bench, so we could wait for the train. Once Brianna sat, I heard something that sounded like a hiss, which I assumed was because her bare skin made contact with the cold metal of the bench. I also noticed a shiver run through her body and some goosebumps appear.

"Are you cold? Cause you can borrow my jacket if you want" I said, as I felt bad for her.

"Of course I'll take your jacket bro, it's not you who is dressed in a black silk mini dress. I'm fucking freezing." She said showing the grumpy side of her character.

I, of course, laughed at her reaction and took off my denim jacket and gave it to her, leaving me in my dark purple t-shirt with a colorful dragon in the back of it.

"What a gentleman" she said sarcastically.

"Of course. I was taught from you." I said, also sarcastically.

After a few moments, a bus came in our view and just as it came to a stop near the station, we jumped from the bench and hurried inside.

Once we got inside and the doors closed, a wave of warmth hit our bodies. Well, jokes on us it was equally cold...We paid and told the driver our destination and took a seat in the middle of the bus.

There were only a few people, a teenage couple teasing each other and laughing in the front of the bus.

An old man was sat at the very back of the bus, who had a grey, grown mustache and was looking down to his book after he lifted his gaze at us. We stared back at him kind of creeping him out until he looked back down to his book.

And then there was us. Chaos, sweaty from the party, definitely not sober, Brianna's makeup kinda messed up, me ready to crack a joke about our situation while worry and nervousness was drawn in our faces. We, for sure looked, very odd in here.

I turn my attention to Brianna, who was also studying the bus's vibe? I opened my bag and got my headphones. I put one to my ear and gave the other to her, and she turned at me and nodded, as if I was asking for permission,-which I wasn't- but I simply nodded back. I connected them with my phone and put "heaven and back" by Chase Atlantic on.

We just sat there and listened to the songs that played, whom melodies made their way from the headphones to one of our ears, making us enjoy our ride and relaxing our nerves.

When the bus comes to a stop; our destination, we grabbed our belongings, which weren't much just our backpacks, and got out.

Yet again, cold air hits me and sends a shiver down my spine.

"Let's go. I believe, it's only a 5 minute walk there and after our talk with him, we can go home and change" Brianna said, visibly trying to ignore the coldness.

I simply nodded and we began to walk, towards Uncle Ben's house.

**

"Hello?" Uncle Ben's voice is heard from the other side of Brianna's phone line.

"Hey, uncle Ben. It's Brianna. Sorry to call you this late."

"Oh Brianna? How are you doing, sweetheart?"

"I'm doing okay, thank you. I'm actually outside your house with my friend. Would you mind opening the gate?"

"Of course" He says just as a click, that indicates that the gate is opening, is heard.