A Peek of The Future

Waking up to the sound of an iPhone alarm in a New York City apartment. Feeling a fluffy creature hop onto the bed as Karter Pierre snoozed said alarm for the third time. Her messy bed-hair startled her cat, Guppy, as they hesitantly trotted towards her face and laid their body right as she was breathing in.

"Alright!" Karter whined, pushing Guppy away from her face to breathe. "I'm up.."

She was, again, met with Guppy's furry body laying across her face to warn her that she is late for the day. Karter soon realized the hints her cat was dropping and leaped out of bed.

"Shit!" She yelped as she rushed to get dressed and ready.

Her clock read 9:48am. She was going to be about twenty minutes late to her interview if she didn't leave immediately. She knew they would not be happy to hear her overused excuse of "I overslept."

For her daily rush, she wore a formal-looking sweater and skinny jeans along with bulky rain boots. She knew it would rain that day, no matter what the weather app tells her. She carried her umbrella on her arm and her purse on her shoulder.

Her best friend, Jasmine, saw her as she hurried to call a Taxi. She saw as Karter's purse was sliding off her shoulder and she was struggling to hold her umbrella without dropping it.

"Taxi! Tax-" Karter tried but the speeding car dodged her waving hand and continued driving.

She huffed as she angrily adjusted her crimson purse on her shoulder. By accident, she dropped her umbrella next to her. She bent over to grab it when she felt her friend's hands around her waist.

"Hey, sweet cheeks!~" Jasmine cooed at Karter who began laughing at the sudden hello. When Karter stood, Jasmine gave her a big hug from behind.

"Holy shit, I haven't seen you in weeks!" Jasmine laughed as she watched Karter wave down a Taxi. She noticed the tension in her friend's stance as she waited for the Taxi to pull over.

"You're late, aren't you?" She sighed, unamused.

"You say it like you've never been late before." Karter scoffed, hiding a smile.

"I'm late a lot less than you are!" Jasmine pointed out as she helped Karter get into the Taxi's backseat. "You sleep soo much!"

"I do not!" Karter protested. She was given a very knowing glare.

"Guppy can't even sleep as long as you do, Kar!"

"Shit.. you're right about that.." Karter mumbled under her breath. She spoke up, showing how late she knew she was. "Anyway, Jazzy, I gotta go now! I'll text you everything later! BYE!"

She slammed the Taxi door closed and urged the driver to get her to her destination as fast as the law will let him. He nodded and drove her to the building in less than five minutes. She quickly paid the driver a bit extra for being so quick and hurried out of the cab. She fixed her hair and smoothly waltzed in with fake confidence.

After almost getting on her knees and begging the front-desk lady to add Karter to the system, Karter sat impatiently in the lounge. Her leg bounced as she began staring at the beautifully bland décor and working men/women in front of computer monitors. She sat antsy until a wrinkly older woman came into the lobby.

"Miss Pierre?" The woman called out. She wore a jet black blazer with a white shirt under and pants. Her high heels made Karter feel overdressed yet the office-grandma look made her feel underdressed.

Karter stood at the sound of her name as she looked over at the woman. "Yes.. yes, ma'am?"

"Come with me, dear." She turned her back to Karter and began to walk the direction she came from. She waddled to follow along with the older lady. Karter had so many questions already.

"Uhm, ma'am?" Karter peeped as she speed walked to keep up. "Are you the person I am being interviewed by? I am so so sor-"

Karter was rudely cut off by the lady stopping and opening a door for her. "You will wait in here. Sit in that chair until the boss is ready to talk to you. I will warn that he doesn't take kindly to many late interviewers. Understood?"

Of course! Karter felt stupid for thinking the old woman was the boss. No matter how hard she tried to hide her embarrassment in her voice, she couldn't shake the feeling that the lady would probably laugh about that interaction later behind Karter's back.

"Yes, ma'am..."

Karter sat nervously as the woman closed her in the room and walked away. She waited around five minutes before a tall man entered the room. Karter had become bored and was looking at her phone when the man had come in. Immediately, she stood and offered her hand for him to shake.

"Hello. My name is Karter Pierre."

He chuckled at her hand and gently pushed it back towards her abdomen. "Sit. Now."

She did as she was told almost immediately. He seemed to take notice by how fast she listened. It's always a good trait to be able to listen and obey orders without a second thought. He liked that kind of power over people.

"Good."