Chapter One

I woke up, stretching my arms and yawning quietly. I ran my fingers through my hair out of habit, trying to untangle any knots. I looked next to me to see Jack still asleep. Jet lag must've gotten to him, although I wasn't as affected by it as I was expecting. A relaxed smile grew on my lips as I watched him. He looked calm for once, the opposite of how he had been the past few days. It was nice to see. His messy blond hair spread over his eyes, and his mouth was slightly agape. He almost looked like a baby. 

Reaching over to check my phone, the clock read 7:45. It was a little early, but that was alright. Now that I was up, I wouldn't be able to go back to sleep anyways. I got out of bed, cringing as my feet made contact with the cold, wooden floor. I walked over to my suitcase, grabbing a black t-shirt and a pair of jeans. I changed quickly and walked downstairs, hoping to see my parents up like usual. They used to always be up early.

I walked into the kitchen, hopping onto one of the bar stools. 

"Mornin' sweetheart," My father greeted.

"Good morning Dad!" I said, stretching back into the chair, feeling unusually cheerful. It was my second day of being back home, and it almost felt like things were the way they used to be. I had another eleven days left here before Jack and I went back to London, and I hoped the days wouldn't go by so fast. My family can't exactly afford to fly out to London to come to my wedding, but having out here wasn't exactly an option. 

I watched in silence as my dad scrambled some eggs on the stove. The faint sizzle of the food being cooked by someone else told me I was really home again. As I sat there, I couldn't help but think about the village and Mother Miranda. This was only a small village, and for the longest time we were pretty poor. Then came Mother Miranda, offering money and protection in exchange for a few churches to be built. She brought back life and prosperity to everyone. Who would say no to that? Something about it seemed oddly disturbing to me, though. 

Every now and then, Mother Miranda would need someone to 'help her'. Most of the time, that person was never seen again. Of course, it wasn't often that this happened, but anytime that Miranda was in need of someone, there was no hesitation within the village to give that person up. After seeing the wonders of London, it didn't take me long to realize how much was wrong with that. It was cult-like. 

Still, I tried not to worry about it. Jack and I would only be here for a few more days, and surely nothing bad would happen. As much as I loved my family and this village, and I was happy to be back, things began to feel more off as I continued to think about it. But I wasn't about to ruin this for myself. I was here to see family, not question my whole childhood. 

"You're worried," My father said as if he had been reading my mind. He pulled the pan off the stove, and began plating up the eggs. 

"Why would I be worried?" I asked him, not exactly wanting to have this conversation so early in the morning. 

"(Y/N), I may not be as close with you as your mother or brother, but that doesn't mean I can't tell when something's up." He said, trying to lighten up his serious tone. "It's about Mother Miranda, isn't it?" 

"Yeah," I sighed, not wanting to admit what had been on my mind. "I don't really know why I'm so nervous, though."

"It's just a blessing. She did it for Lily before she married Klaus. Now it's your turn." He placed a plate of eggs and bacon in front of me, and gave me a tired smile. "Trust me, you'll be fine. Besides, you're a city girl now." He ruffled my hair lovingly, and I swatted his hand away with a small laugh.

"I guess so. Should I change into something nicer before I go up to the church today?" I asked him.

"You look fine, sweetheart. It's hot out anyways, she'll understand."