"Are you the princess?" One of them asks me, and I let out a surprised laugh.

"She is not a princess--" One of the girls shoves the boy who asked the question, "She is the Lady of the Night."

They all gasp and look at me, and I give them a nervous laugh. I was never that good with children, and these ones already seem to know who I am so that does not help ease my nerves.

"Are we going to win the war?" One of the little boys ask me, and the others seem to wait in anticipation. My heart breaks a little at them worrying about a war at such young of an age, I look to Azriel for help.

"We will and you all will be safe here. This is the safest place in all of Prythian." Azriel bends down so he is at the same level as the children, and I can practically see their fear disappear.

"Are you a Shadowsinger?" A little girl asks Azriel, admiring his shadows behind him.

"I am," He looks up at me, "We both are."

"Would you like to meet them?" I ask as I also lean down to their height. They all nod enthusiastically and both Azriel and I's shadows begin to dance in between the children. They laugh and run their hands through our shadows.

"Do you sing?" A little girl asks me.

"I do." I respond, and they all seem to stop and stare at me. I realize they are waiting for me to sing. I look to Az but he just looks at me with his eyebrows raised--also waiting. "What song would you like to hear?"

"Goddess of Night!" One of the little girls squeal and I smile at the most common children's song in the Night Court.

"I am a little rusty, so do not judge." I say to them, and shake my head when I realize they are children and not grown adults. I clear my throat and begin to sing--

"In the night, her dark awakens

In the day, her darkness sleeps

moon in the sky, stars so bright

She watches man below her, weep."

I notice Azriel's full attention on me which makes me even more nervous but I continue to sing--only because he has heard me sing many times before this.

"Goddess of the night, shower us in stars

Awaken and bring the moon

Goddess hear your childrens cries

We need your help, and we need it soon"

I never realized how dark this verse was as a child, but that was how a lot of songs in the Night Court were--most of them had darker meanings.

"May we give you everything

and in turn get none at all

but do you really want to watch

all your children fall?"

I smile as the children begin to sing the last verse with me.

" As night comes to an end

sun rises in the sky

we ask for just some peace

when you look at us from high."

I laugh as the children laugh and clap their hands, "You sound like a Princess!" One of the little girls says to me.

"Why thank you." I bow my head to her, and my smile grows wider as I think of an idea. I use my powers to summon tiny crowns for the children here. They gasp and squeal in joy when they find what I summoned for them. They thank me and then run off playing a game of Princess's and Prince's. I look to Azriel to find him already looking at me.

"What?" I ask him as I stand up.

"Nothing." He says as he stands up also. We look at each other for a moment before I force myself to look away. "Are you done with your little tangent?"

"What?" I laugh in surprise.

"You cannot keep avoiding the topic forever, Velaris." Azriel lowers his eyes so they meet mine.

"I won't," He raises his eyebrows at me so I continue to explain, "But right now, all I want is for all of us just to have some fun."

"Then let's go dance." He holds out a scarred hand, and I do not hesitate to take it. His touch sends fire up and down my body but I do not show it. We walk back into Rita's and find our family still dancing. I stop for a moment as I take them in.

"Are you going to join?" Azriel mocks me from earlier and I laugh.

"In a moment, you go ahead." I nod to him and he makes his way over to everyone and a drunken Cass takes Azriel's hands and begins swinging him around--I laugh at the sight. I sit there admiring them for a moment--my family.

I realize I would murder and destroy anyone or anything for them.

Something in me hurts at the sight of them being so happy--of me not being able to feel that same happiness.

Mor and Tanwyn run over to me before anymore dark thoughts consume me. They grab my arms in laughter as they drag me to the dancefloor.

My family and I danced and laughed until sunrise.

I did not realize it at the time, but that would be the last night we all were happy and content.