"I've followed in my ancestors footsteps and served this kingdom for years with all my heart. I've never regarded my life over the benefit of my people, neither have I ever rebelled against any orders I've received from the crown."

"We're not ignorant to your services, Eskander," Zakariya replies.

"Then is this how you pay me for them?" Eskander sneers. "You send your men to my house behind my back and they take my sister from her home while I fight at the border for you? You dishonor me, Ameer."

Zakariya runs a hand down his face and beard as if in great distress. He turns around and goes to sit on his seat at the end of the room.

"These were the Khalifa's orders, Eskander. Whoever was found to have the seal was to be brought to him."

"If the Khalifa couldn't respect this woman in my face, he should've at least done so in her father's face. She's Al Makhzum's daughter. Her father served caliph Khalid ibn Al Malik all his life. Yet she's still accused for an impossible theft?" Eskander mockingly spits.

"Apologies, general, but the theft isn't an impossible one," Muawwiz interjects from across the room. "No one's family background counts when it comes to justice. Neither yours, nor hers."

Eskander stares at him viciously. "Neither does your opinion counts, Muawwiz. So don't speak unless spoken to."

"I don't think I need your permission to speak," he retorts. "The girl might not have access to the palace, but you have."

"What do you want to imply by this?" Eskander growls. Noura feels the tension in the room thicken and the waves of rage coming from Eskander that boils the air around them.

"Muawwiz," Zakariya glares at his guard. "Do you realize the gravity of your accusation?"

"I beg your pardon, my Ameer, but you're being too lenient with the general," Muawwiz argues. "I suppose we all know the gravity of the crime committed and the leniency being shown to the culprit. This is against the kingdom rules."

"The crime ain't yet proven, neither are you the judge here. The Khalifa does as he please, rules followed or broken, whatsoever."

The interruption comes from Adam and all eyes turn to him. Muawwiz snarls at his comment. "Shut up, slave."

"You shut up, guard dog," Eskander snaps.

"Men!" Zakariya roars at the breech of discipline, and all of them wire shut their jaws. He glowers at them before directing to Eskander.

"I've no doubt in your loyalty towards the crown, Eskander." From her periphery, Noura catches both Adam's and Muawwiz's faces twist in displeasure at the compliment. "However, you must realize the complexity of the situation. Your sister had the seal, and as per caliph's order, we're bound to keep her here. Until this case is solved, Noura will remain at the palace."

The look of disagreement on Eskander's features is loud and clear. His fists are clenched and Noura is sure he's barely managing to hold his tongue. She knows Eskander doesn't want to keep her in the palace at any cost but he too has his hands chained.

"I've certain conditions," he finally utters and she hears Muawwiz scoff.

"We don't think you're in a position to be be giving orders, general. You aren't the Khalifa here."

"Open your mouth again and I'll have my blade down your throat," Eskander threatens gravely.

Noura gathers because of Muawwiz own rank of being commander of the royal guards and not working under Eskander, he's rather fearless of him compared to the other men in the room. Their dislike towards each other is as obvious as the midday sun.