XVI

Suleiman smiles, looking at Sadiya who seemed anxious.
He wanted her but it was obvious that she was into Hafiz.

He walks over and sits next to her "You seem tired"

She turns and looks at him "Tired? Are you insane? Why would I look tired?"
"I mean tired of waiting" he tries to recover from his failed attempt to woo her.

"Yes, I've been waiting for Hafiz but he's still not here. What do I do?" She looks at him in hopes of getting clues.

He shakes his head "Hafiz is the most boring person I know. He likes nothing and hates everything. He is a very complicated person"

She huffs irritatedly "But why? Does he have a girlfriend? Or is he not into women?"

Suleiman gasps trying to sound distraught by her suspicion "Hafiz isn't gay. He's as straight as they get"

"Then why hasn't he looked at me even once. He's always busy with those dumb vassals".

He smiles "Why do you think he's busy with them?"
She looks at him expectantly "Why?"

"You have to promise you'll go on a date with me tomorrow. We can discuss more about tactics later on".

"Tactics? Just tell me".
He sits closer, putting his arm around her shoulder and leans in to whisper in her ear "He and Huda have a thing"

She gasps "What?!"
He nods.
"Huda and not Raudah? So she's the one keeping him from me?"

He nods.
She stands abruptly "I need to go. I'll call you" she hurries out.

::

Empress Mina sat across her husband, looking at him in disbelief.
"What? You can't just force them to get married".

"But when will they?"
"Who suggested such stupidity?"
"Mina it's not stupid and the person who suggested it doesn't matter"

She huffs "Who are you forcing exactly?"
"Amjad, Hafiz and Suleiman"

She smiles "So Salis suggested it"
"What makes you think he did?"

"First of all I know if Hammad, Awwal or Abdulateef suggested it they'd include their sons but Salis wouldn't do that".

"What does it matter anyway?"
"Just because they were all married when you ascended the throne doesn't mean anything"

He huffs "Exactly, they're not focused on having a family and they should. They're at that age were that should matter to them more than anything"

"Then who are you getting them married to? Huh?"
"There are thousands of eligible, noble and pious women to chose from, it won't be hard to get three men married".

"What about Aadil?" She asks.
He smiles "Ofcourse he's included. Salisu was telling me about how he's taking his studies seriously and needs to focus but I'll have him back here too. He can't be excluded"

She nods "At least that's fair"
"I've always been a fair man"

::

Hafiz is seated on a couch in his bedroom.
There were a thousand things in his mind and so many things he wanted to do but they seemed almost impossible and reckless.

His father was not in the country, taking care of some things and he was here training the vassals.

Someone knocks on his bedroom door.
"Who is it?" He groans annoyed.
"It's Mahmoud"

The door opens and he enters, staring at Hafiz who is only half dressed.
"I didn't say you could come in"

"I knocked"
Hafiz huffs "This should be my last day training them, I have a few things to handle due to my father's absence".

He nods "Ka fada mun jiya (you already told me yesterday)"
"Aha! Masoud, I haven't seen him in over a week now. He hasn't come for any of his training".

"Then that's going to be a problem" Mahmoud says leaning on a nightstand, folding his arms.

Hafiz picks up his shirt "What do you mean?"
"A maid approached me just as I was coming here. She cleans his room"

"And?"
"She noticed that he hasn't been in his room for over a week now. I've asked court maids, security and everyone around but no one has seen either he or his aid".

He looks at him worriedly "We need to look for him ASAP. We're going to need some help with that. We need to search everywhere in this palace".
"That could take at least 3days"

"We'll have to improvise because we don't have three days. I just hope nothing happened to him".
"With the feeling I'm having, I doubt that".

::

The Emperor called on Hafiz, Suleiman, Amjad and Aadil to talk to them personally.

They all sat down on a carpet in his living room while he sat on an arm chair, staring at them.

"Do any of you have any idea why I called you?" He asks them.
They all shake their head.

"I called you here as an uncle not an emperor. I grew up with all your fathers like brothers so when we're here I'm your uncle not your emperor so I expect you all to be vocal".

Hafiz was anxious because it's been three days since he sent his men to look for Masoud, he didn't want to raise alarm until they get back with nothing.

"Well do you know your fathers and I got married all within six months? That's why all of your are almost the same age". He smiles "If I had a son he'd be probably be around your age too"

"So what do you have to say about that?" He asks waiting for their response.

"We intend to very soon" Amjad says.
"Relationships aren't so easy" Suleiman admits.
"I'm not even seeing anyone" Aadil confesses.
"We just need more time" Hafiz pleads.

He smiles "Everyone has an excuse" he looks at Hafiz "That's also an excuse"

He looks at Aadil "Your father doesn't even know you're back yet, he still thinks you're in school but enough of that. You won't be returning to school there. If you want to school there are many great schools in The Republic, you can attend them after you're married"

"Amjad you don't even seem like you've ever thought of marriage but that was the same way your father behaved back then, if his parents didn't push him to marry your mother how would it be? You should know it's the best decision he has ever made his entire life, I'm sure he has mentioned that countless times already".

"Suleiman your excuse is the weakest. I've heard of so many of your rendezvous with the women in this palace, your father always complains bitterly about it"

"And for you, Hafiz not every woman is terrible. I'm sure you've learnt that, if what I've been hearing is true. Be open, life isn't always terrible and not really everyone is evil"

He nods "I plan to get you all married within the next month"
They all look at him wide eyed.

"But—" Aadil was interrupted by a knock on the door.

"Come in" Mustapha says.
Seconds later Uncle Awwal walks in looking terrified and alarmed but regains his cool when he sees the four looking at him curiously.

"We have a problem, the vassal Masoud has been found"
"Great" he smiles.

"No, his corpse"

The rooms turns silent.

::