Chapter 27: Proofing

Start from the beginning

I stayed silent as Wren navigated the bazaars, bargaining with the vendors. I was to stay out of sight, which I did handily with my coat. Only appearing just out of sight of Wren, and walking up to her when she started searching for me. I knew she was suspicious of my list. Blankets, bed rolls, food, water. But for a journey, those were definitely needed. Once I checked off what I needed, I caught up with Wren.
"Okay, Wren. That's everything. If you can..."
She was still in the alleyway.
"Wren?"
"You aren't telling me the truth."
I sighed.
"Okay, I'll tell you this. It's ten times more dangerous if you know the truth."
"Then tell me."
"Okay. Don't say I didn't warn you."
I managed to take the last big blanket and stuff it into a big backpack basket a good size for the egg.
"I'm transporting an egg. A Nightwing egg."
"Now I know you're lying. Mr. Mindreading Marvin."
"I-" I cut myself off. "That was a good rhyme- but no. I have to get this egg away from here. Goldman is going to be after it."
"Who's Goldman?"
"A former associate of mine. Now he's plotting to plunge the entire continent into a war. He wants an animus, mind-reading dragon on his side so he can get the upper hand. That's why we have to keep this egg safe."
She got up, walking out to the mouth of the alleyway.
"This is as far as I'm going with you."
Just as she was about to step away.
"Jade Mountain Academy!"
She stopped.
"There's a storm brewing. A battle for the soul of this land. It's going to be there. If you want any say in your life, you'll be there."
She just turned and looked at me. I felt like I was a complete idiot, and said something that would definitely get me killed. She turned and walked away to disappear. I sighed, gathering my resources. This backpack basket was unwieldy as all hell, but I could still access my rifle sling and day pack. I stood up, walking back out to the streets. Triangulating my position, I remembered the barracks were a little behind me. My compass confirmed it, although it was pointing now to a place I knew wasn't North. Oh well. I could follow it.
Keeping my head down, with one of the straps was slung uncomfortably over my shoulder to hide my badge. There was no hiding my uniform, but I could try and lose people in the crowds. I slowly made my way back to the barracks. But then a large clearing broke out in front of me. I recognized the man who stood in front of me.
"Goldman." I greeted him.
"Marvin."
We stared each other down. I knew his hand hovered over his pistol, as did I.
"So. How are you doing?"
"I'm done with the small chat. Where is my egg?"
"Aww! I wanted to catch up. You know, settle our differences-" I stopped when I saw his posture change, a shooting posture. "The egg's fine Goldman."
"Good. I was just about to nail your mouth for talking so much."
I looked down at the trench coat draped around me. But I was still going to play it off.
"Well... you wouldn't get very far."
"Why's that?"
"The barracks is literally around the corner. Moon's there. And plus, Kish is my second. He knows. And he'll carry out my last."
"Then I'll kill him as well. Haven't you learned yet Marvin? There is nothing you can do to stop me."
"Directly no. But I can deny you targets." His face changed. "You can't hit what you can't see."
"Then I'll hit everywhere. I'll hit the place you care about the most."
"And I'll be there, holding the line. You'll have to get past me, Goldman."
"No. Unless you can withstand the eight 14-inch guns of the Haruna."
Suddenly, I heard the metallic ring of a sword unsheathing. I ducked and rolled away, dogging the swordsman. I looked up, Goldman was gone. I tried for my pistol, but it snagged on one of the basket straps. The man yelled as he came for another swing, I yelled when I was cornered by people. Two shots rang out. The man collapsed onto me, the sword clattered nearby. I pushed him off me. He wore a blank expression. Two, dark red circles began to grow through his shirt. I looked up, pistol in hand.
You're still a magnificent bastard Marvin.
McManis stood, revolver in hand, the barrel smoking. He walked up and offered me a hand. I took it.
"I saw you. And... while I can't ever forgive you for what you did, acting all stuck up about it won't do anything any good."
I nodded. "Thank you, McManis."
"No problem. None at all." You remind me so much about him.
I pretended I didn't hear that. McManis held me up as he walked me back to the barracks. The door burst open. All my soldiers spilled out, fully armed and ready for a fight.
"At ease!" I yelled just before Kish filled me with lead.
"Lieutenant! You're alright! Christopher."
"Roger." McManis nodded.
"You're okay?" Kish ran me up and down.
"A few scrapes. Nothing I can't handle."
"Who was that girl?" Moon asked
"A friend. She knows a dragon as well."
"The more the merrier," Rossum grumbled out.
Once I passed the checks, everyone looked to me. I looked behind them, Moon stood at the doorway, while Qibli looked up from him curled up with the egg.
"Orders, sir?" Gossing asked.
I didn't look at him, I met Moonwatcher's eyes.
Your call.
There's no place safer than Jade Mountain.
"Then we're going there." I looked over my men once more. The grizzled men under my command. Cut, scraped, scared, bloodied, bludgeoned, lucky, experienced, confident, steadfast men all. They looked up to me, of their own volition. I had earned their trust twice over. I knew I could trust them as well. "Get as much supplies as you can carry. We're going back to Jade Mountain."