Chapter 23: Third Wheel III

Start from the beginning

Now there was no room for Hong Liumeng in the equation. He was a menace to the end, the one who kidnapped the love of not only Li Runze but the white moonlight of the 5th Prince. I had no plans to adhere to his obsession over Liu Ying. It was best to stick to my plan of avoiding the main characters, attempting to live a meaningful life.

I have to get used to this world now, I guess...

Sigh, much easier said than done. How could one from the modern times adapt? It could take me years until I fully acclimate into these ancient ways.

"Young Master, are you doing better?" Liu Ying's concerned voice reached me.

"Huh? Oh, yes. Much better."

"We will arrive at the next town soon. Please hang on until then."

I'm not some elderly granny. Pass out one time and everyone treats me like some ill mistress.

Shaking my head, I didn't continue conversation with Liu Ying. She'd already moved on and began chatting with Li Runze.

As Liu Ying said, we reached the town before sunset. The main area of where travelers arrivea was where the horses were kept. Led to water and their shelter, the horse's were allowed to rest.

Opening the door to a vacant room, Wen Lu whispered, "This is your room, Young Master!"

"My room?" For the first time on this trip, I wouldn't be sharing?!

"Lucky you, Lord Li reserved it just now. It must be a reward for all your hard work."

"Ha?"

That's unlike him. Wasn't he the one who repeated over and over that this wasn't going to be a luxury trip?

The room wasn't especially lavish but had a comfy looking bed and some silky looking layers. I wondered how many people slept in this bed. The thought of bed bugs creeped me out.

Wen Lu's arm looped around mine while we walked around the marketplace. Still assisting me, I tried to tell her that my legs worked fine. I guess I seemed more like the damsel in distress compared to her after that dramatic faint. 

There were people of diverse ethnic backgrounds selling goods in the market. I'd met a few international students when I was studying in college. Thinking about it, I was not the best at conversing with them and would say a word not realizing I meant to say something else, which just ended with us both confused.

After sipping the last of my order of dumpling soup, I made my way to the room. Wen Lu went to find Liu Ying.

"Young Master, are you going to spend all night with Miss Wen Lu?" A man with a tan face and weathered beard asked. The group of men were from Li Runze's team. Some half-naked, leaving their chest bare.

I raised my eyebrows. "Uh, no. I'm returning to my room."

"Come shower with us, Young Master. The inn has shower stalls in the back." The younger looking man politely extended an invitation.

"You go on ahead." Gesturing for them to continue on, I watched them gleefully talk and laugh as they disappeared. Even after that terrifying assassin incident, they were able to still display such lighthearted demeanor. Characters without names but living with such vibrancy and deserving of a fulfilled life.

To be wasted just for the progression of these main characters! Ugh. Pitiful.

I needed a shower after traveling for so many days under the sun, enduring this dry heat. Thankfully, my period had passed. I could wait until the men from our team finished showering, but there were also other guests residing in the inn. How could I go undetected?

I closed my eyes, hoping later in the night I could take advantage. With a flickering candle, I used it to quietly tip toe toward the shower stalls. The cool water had to be poured into the smaller jar inside the stall. Then a dipper is used to pour the water over one's body.

I set the candlelight on the window sill, throwing my clothes on the shower door. The enclosed shower stall wasn't much taller than me. Someone walking up to the door could see me entirely. Quickly pouring the cold water over my head, I shiver intensely, feeling it trickle down.

After a couple of splashes, I became drenched. The hot air felt cool on my skin. I placed my hair over my shoulder and began washing it with soap. Sadly, there was no conditioner to soften the strains of long hair. Nevertheless, Hong Liumeng's hair was pretty soft and the soap was adding a nice scent.

"It's hot in that room!" I heard a man's voice exclaimed. And he wasn't alone.

"Lord Li got that demon brat his own room and couldn't even spare us a room?"

I blew out my candle before they noticed and crouched. Luckily, they didn't see me, and the noise of water being poured is heard. They complained about the trip and Li Runze, although a hint of admiration still lingered with their words.

Reaching for my robes, I moved slowly and remained close to the ground. Throwing on a layer, I grabbed the rest of my garments and slowly squatted to the door.

"Is someone there?" One of the men turned around, his hands gripping the shower door.

Ack!

Internally screaming, I was afraid of being discovered.

My hands pushed open the door to my room. Forcing it closed, I let out a breath of relief.

"What are you doing?"

Huh? Who's in my room?!

Turning around, I saw Li Runze staring back at me. "Why are you in my room?!"

"This is my room," he argues. His eyebrows furrowed with annoyance. His eyes avoided me as he looked away. "Why aren't you dressed properly?"

"Ack!" The opening to my robes showed the skin on my chest. I hurriedly pulled it together.

"Turn away! Don't look at me."

Li Runze scoffed, "This is my room, you know?"

He turned his back to me, although he was acting haughty. I ignored him and got dressed. The wetness of my long hair made it exhausting, moving it around to get the clothes on.

An assertive knock on the door, made me jump and hide behind Li Runze. He looked at me, pursing his lips.

"Lord Li, are you sleeping?" A man asked from outside.

"What is it?"

"We thought we saw someone enter your room..."

"It's nothing. Return to your room."

"Yes, Lord Li."

Waiting for a bit, I wanted to make sure the guy left. I go over to the door, trying to listen if there was still a presence outside.

"They followed me here? Li Runze, they must have been afraid I came to tattle on their complaining-" The look on his face wasn't good.

"What- What's the matter?" I asked, stepping forward to examine him.

He stepped back. "You should leave."

"Oh... Yeah. Sorry to disturb you. Don't tell anyone you saw me."

I couldn't pull the door open. Looking up, someone's palm pressed against it.

"Li Runze, what... are you doing?"