Chapter 21: Third Wheel

If it was me stuck with Liu Ying, Hell, even me stuck with Li Runze, it would have been much better!

But it was the 3 of us stuck together?! What rotten luck to be the third wheel of the Male Lead and Female Lead's crucial moment of closeness.

So unfair.

Li Runze's coughing distracted me from self-pity. We already walked away from the rubble and was situated inside a large cavern. One good thing was the more people we had here, the less creepy the place was. It was mostly dark as we stumbled our way here.

With Li Runze wounded, I sort of had to take the lead. Liu Ying was being attentive to Li Runze, one of his arm over her shoulders while she supported his weight. I had actually not cared enough to offer a hand to help Li Runze move.

It was not my part anyhow. Besides the main characters would find a way out and be rescued after a few days. They just had to develop a deeper bond to finish this. Liu Ying was resourceful in the novel and could help Li Runze heal. I should only have to wait out the days.

Liu Ying seated Li Runze on a flat surface and turned to me. "Young Master, please help me find things to give us light."

I pretended to not understand. "Will there be something useful around here?"

She already walked off with eyes searching. "Not too long ago, this place was occupied by monks. I think we can find something of use in the abandoned temple."

I knew the place was familiar to her, although she'd never been here. It was a temple built by the Western Kingdom. Her Imperial Father built it for one of his favored concubine from our country. The temple was built near the border to ease her pain of being far from home. There was some drama in their palace and so the concubine left to become a nun in this very temple. When she passed, the temple became abandoned.

Following her, I couldn't even see much. Liu Ying suddenly lit a match and a bright light enveloped the space.

Female lead magic!

"Young Master, will you bring Li Runze over here?" She pointed inside the abandoned temple, not too far from where we were. Since she was guiding the light, it was natural to ask me to be the one to carry the burden. I went ahead and threw Li Runze's arm over my shoulders. Lifting him up, we slowly staggered after Liu Ying.

She brought over some dusty cushion meant for praying. Laying them on the ground, she helped me gently put Li Runze down. His face grimaced from the movement, but he pulled his lips thin to suppress any sound.

Liu Ying quickly started looking for things to start a fire. I left Li Runze's side to assist. Once we got a fire going, we finally attend to Li Runze's wound.

"We'll have to clean the cut. Sand could have gotten in because of the fall," Liu Ying said.

One reason why I liked this novel was because the Female Lead was thoughtful and resourceful. Not only that, she had some funny internal monologues. Except I can't hear her thoughts as a minor character and not a reader. She's not always looking for the Male Lead's approval and has her own ambitions and capabilities. She's not overly dramatic nor seeks male validation. This is what makes her likeable to me, and that's why I think Liu Ying and Li Runze make such a good pair.

"Young Master, do you have anything in your bag we can use?" Liu Ying turned to me.

"Oh? Um, let me look..." I took the bag off and rummaged through my things. In the novel, Liu Ying ripped off a piece of her skirt to wrap Li Runze's bleeding wound. This would make him deeply appreciate her kind heart. But now that I was here, and carrying a bag of various necessities, would their fondness for each other really develop?