Chapter four ~ Results

The next morning, things seemed to be peaceful and calm. Ryan stood by the window and watched Wilfred roam around the backyard, while his sister, Kristen, prepared breakfast for them.

She watched her little brother as he admired the dog he had a close friendship to.

"Seems like yesterday when you introduced me to him."

Ryan turned to her.

"You both were covered in dirt and soot, and I was an angry little bitch, but now I'm happy for you, and for Wilfred."

He smiled.

"And now your carrying my little nephew."

He came over and kissed her on the cheek, then sat down in front of his plate and started eating.

"If you and Wilfred were to get married, would I be your maid of honor?"

"Of course." Ryan replied. "Your my sister."

"And someone who has loved you as much as mom and dad."

"Oh, Kristen, you know I was the baby for the longest time."

"I didn't say that you weren't, I just know that you are loved by all of us."

Ryan grinned as he ate his eggs.

Kristen sipped her tea.

"Has the vet called yet?"

"I'm not sure. Jenna said she'd let me know tonight."

"Well, when you find out, make sure I'm the first to know."

"Absolutely, my dear sister."

Kristen smiled, and the two finished their breakfast together.

~

Later that afternoon, Wilfred and Ryan went to the dog park. Ryan read a book that his mother loaned him, while Wilfred admired the other dogs around them.

"Isn't this beautiful?" Wilfred asked. "Seeing all the dogs running together with their mates?"

"Yes, my love." Ryan replied; closing his book. "It truly is."

He looked at him.

"It's beautiful, just like you."

Wilfred looked at his fiancé and smiled. He scooted closer and wrapped his arm around him.

"My dear Ryan, I can imagine us being together in this moment, but as man and husband."

"You think so?"

"I know so."

Ryan smiled.

"Well, we can make it happen, just like we talked about."

"We can."

He started moving in the bench.

"What's wrong, darling?"

"Oh nothing is wrong."

He laid his head on his shoulder.

"Everything is right."

Wilfred leaned over and kissed him on the side of his head.

After they shared this lovable moment, Ryan started to get up from the bench.

"It's getting a bit late. We should go ahead and head home."

"Are you sure?" Wilfred asked. "You know I don't live with Jenna anymore, and we can stay a little longer."

"I know, darling. I just want to get home in time so we can watch a little bit of Good Will Hunting."

The dog man smiled.

"Oh, Ryan. You know I love Matt Damon."

He stood up and took his hand.

"Let's go home."

The two shared a kiss, then started walking home.

~

After walking through the neighborhood, the two arrived at Ryan's house. As they got on the doorstep, they heard a faint sound of crying.

When Ryan opened the front door, he saw Jenna standing at the counter; weeping.

He was very concerned.

"Jenna, are you okay?"

She looked up and Ryan standing at the door, with Wilfred standing beside him.

"Oh, Ryan, I didn't know you guys were out."

"And I didn't know you were here."

"I'm sorry, your door was unlocked."

She looked over at Wilfred, then back at Ryan.

"Hey, if you don't mind, can Wilfred stand outside for just a few minutes?"

Ryan nodded and looked at his fiancé.

After they shared a quick kiss, Wilfred went to go sit down on the front porch. Ryan closed the door and walked into the living room.

Jenna went to sit on the couch.

"Come, sit with me."

Ryan sat down next to her.

"So, what's going on?"

She took a deep breath; holding back tears.

"I got a call from Dr. Bangachon, about the biopsy results."

Ryan saw the sadness in Jenna's eyes, and started fearing the worst.

"What did he say?"

Jenna couldn't hold it in any longer.

"Wilfred's dying."

When he heard this, Ryan was shocked. He felt his heart breaking inside of him.

"How long does he have?"

Jenna started shedding tears.

"A few days."

Ryan looked at her, and felt all the happiness of the world slipping away from him. He just couldn't believe it.

His beloved fiancé has lung cancer.

Jenna started crying, and she fell into Ryan's arms and cried as hard as she could. Ryan held her, but was still in complete shock.

His whole future with his love was gone, and he was never going to get it back.

Wilfred was going to die.