42. I Have to Lie

Beginne am Anfang

"I am." He said nodding his head. "Most everyone else has hung up their suits."

"Including us." I said eyeing him. "I mean we've got a kid, Peppers hardly hanging on, Bucky is in therapy twice a day and sleeps inside of a cage because of what HYDRA did to him."

"I know you guys have your hands full, but I wouldn't ask if I wasn't sure I need you." He asked me and I was hesitant.

"Bucky is in no shape Sam." I said softly wishing I had a better answer for me.

Before Sam could even respond the door opened to a very tired looking Bucky. He noticed us isn't he kitchen and he stood frozen when he realized Sam. He looked confused but shut the door behind him.

"Hey Sam, what's going on?" He said walking up and giving Sam a weak and tired hug.

I could see Sam noticing how ghostly pale and tired Bucky was. Only a perfect example of what I was telling him. Bucky had his plate full and he didn't need anything more to make it worse.

"I was just stopping by to ask a favor." Sam said almost not seeming sure of what he was going to say.

"Is everything okay?" He asked looking worried.

"Uh- yeah, I mean there's been-"

"Sam was just asking if I could help him fix his sisters boat down in Louisiana." I said cutting in remembering Sam talking about a boat they needed to fix. "Tony taught me enough I should be able to help."

"Did the bank not give you a loan so you could have a mechanic fix it?" Bucky asked.

"No they didn't." Sam said which was a lie, but he played along after I eyed him.

"That's ridiculous, you're a super hero and you just helped bring back half the universe and they can't give you a loan?" Bucky said shaking his head.

"You know how it is. They want your help but hardly acknowledge you for it." Sam said chuckling nervously but thankfully Bucky was too tired to realize it was off. "I know you guys have a lot going on, so don't worry about it really."

"I mean, we do but you're practically family." I said looking to Bucky to read his reaction. "Maybe I could get Happy to watch Morgan in the evenings while you're with Bruce. If you're okay with that."

"It would only take a day or two with how much Tony taught you." Sam said assuring me I wouldn't be gone long.

"I mean I wish I could help, I've just got myself tied up here for a while." He said sounding frustrated. "But of course, I can manage myself."

"Sounds like a plan then, when should we leave?" I asked.

"I've got a plane leaving from the hanger tonight if you could make it." Sam said and I could see he was nervous.

"I'm sure I can stretch it. I'll see you then, I'm excited to finally meet the sister we hear so much about." I said laughing finishing my drink.

"Well prepare yourself, she is a handful." Sam said giving me an affirming nod that just told me that whatever mission we were going on. It was serious.

"Can't be any worse than you." I said smiling softly.

"See you tonight." He said tapping on Bucky's back as he looked to me.

Sam got up and left and I watched as he left. I turned to Bucky who's emotions were hard to read when covered with a haze of exhaustion. I couldn't tell if he was happy, suspicious, or upset if any of those at all.

"You look very tired." I said softly.

"It was a long night. It happened twice. Bruce is getting better at finding out more about the science of it all. He's hopeful tonight will go better, but I can't catch up on sleep in there. It's like I'm sleeping in a fish tank under a microscope." He said rubbing his eyes.