26. Inseparable

-Theo-

-Theo-

Three weeks passed quickly. Deon and I were pretty much inseparable. I guess we both needed the closeness while we waited for the inevitable. Deon kept his promise to stop drinking and smoking, and he didn't even drink so much coffee as he used to, but he refused to stop eating pizza. It was the only food he absolutely loved, so I didn't ask him twice. In return, he ate whatever healthy food I decided to make for him, even if he didn't like everything I made. I believed we both secretly hoped the new diet would make a difference.

At school Deon watched over me, never letting anyone close enough to tease me, and most of the students grew tired of bullying me after a while. I guess it wasn't funny when I wasn't such an easy target anymore. I couldn't care less if they called me bad names or made fun of me. I usually ignored it all since I was too worried about Deon to give a crap.

Sean and Beau still tried to find a way to bully me. The two of them had become friends after the poster incident. I found out that Beau really had given my number to Sean, who had put it on the posters, but he had also spread it all over the internet.

That prank wasn't such a success though since I had destroyed my phone, and now only my dad, Deon and Mia Steele – I gave it to her in case something happened to Deon – had my number.

It was a Friday morning, and I was sitting right next to Deon in his car. We were parked at the hospital, but neither of us said anything or made any attempts to step out. It was time for Deon's checkup, and he was scared, even though he didn't admit that.

I didn't want to push him to go see his doctor. I knew he had gotten his hopes up during the past three weeks, and I had a pretty good idea how devastating and horrible it would be for him to hear that his condition was still getting worse. I knew I would end up crying, and I wasn't sure if I could ever stop.

The two of us had had a really good time together. I had enjoyed every second with him, even though the fear was always looming over us like a dark cloud.

I turned to look at the doors of the hospital. I remembered the first time I'd been there with him. Back then I didn't know why he needed to see a doctor, and I almost wished I still didn't know about it. But then again, if I didn't know, Deon would've been suffering all alone, and I couldn't take that.

A few moments later, Deon sighed and got out of the car. I followed him, and we walked to the entrance in silence. Once we got in, Deon told me to wait in the lobby. I wanted to go with him, but I didn't say anything when he left me alone.

I sat down and watched him walk away. It was hard to hold back my tears. He'd told me they would soon need to take him in if his condition kept getting worse. They would keep him locked up in his room without letting him outside anymore. I felt a lonely tear running down my cheek. Why did everything have to be so hard? Why couldn't we just be happy?