22. Hell

-Theo-

-Theo-

I woke up slowly, but I was too tired to open my eyes at first. There was a weird beeping sound coming from somewhere above my head. It sounded like those heart monitors they had in hospitals. I was weirdly numb all over; my body felt like it weighed a ton.

I opened my eyes just enough to see the white ceiling above me. I wasn't in my room, that much was for sure. My mind was too groggy to understand where I was, but then I moved my eyes a little and noticed that the sound really was coming from a monitor that was standing right next to my bed.

But why was I in a hospital again? I moved my hands, and I felt stinging pain in my left arm.

"Oh... Right..." I muttered when I suddenly remembered what I had done to myself.

How was it possible that I had survived? How had I ended up in a hospital? Did my dad find me again? That must be it.

There was no one in my small room. I looked out of the window and realized it was way past midday already. I turned to see my arm. It was covered in bandages. I wondered how long I had been sleeping, and how close I had been to dying.

I still wasn't dead yet. I was so numb I didn't know if I was happy or sad about it. I was too tired to think. I wanted to fall asleep again, but the moment I started to drift into unconsciousness, someone opened the door. I had to battle against my heavy eyelids to see that it was my dad who stopped to stare at me by the door.

"Oh, um, how long have you been awake?" he asked and came closer to me.

I shrugged. He looked like he had no idea whether to stay or leave, but he ended up sitting down on the chair next to my bed.

"The doctors said you'll be just fine," he spoke timidly.

"Like I care..." I muttered and turned to look away from him.

Dad didn't reply. I turned to look at him again, and he was staring at his hands without any expressions on his face.

"First Allen... and now this..." he muttered and shook his head. "I really screwed up with you two, didn't I?"

"Did you bring me here?" I asked to change the topic – I wasn't in the mood to listen to him wallowing in self-pity.

"No, it was that lady doctor's kid. I can't remember his name..."

My heart almost stopped in shock. "Deon?" I whispered.

"That's the one. He came to see you and found you last night right after... It was lucky he found you so soon. They said that if he had arrived only a minute later, you'd be a goner..." Dad spoke with a monotone voice.

Why had Deon come to see me? But then again, it had been Friday night, after all. Maybe he had needed a place to stay after getting drunk?

"This is my fault, isn't it?" Dad asked.