002

january 8th, 2024
7:11 pm

 THE SCENE FELT FAMILIAR

Jalen was in a ring store with a female companion, his sole intention on buying one for Noelani.

The only differences was that this time that the woman by his side was his mother and this ring wasn't some weak ass promise ring.

Jalen wasn't sure exactly when he knew that he was finally ready to propose.

Maybe it was when she had given birth to their daughter.

Or maybe it was when the two had made it past the three year mark.

Either way, whatever the reason was, Jalen knew that he wanted to marry her.

They had both joked about the fact that they were married for years; now it was time to make it a reality.

"Do you think she'll like this one?" Jalen asked Bree, his finger pointing down at a gold ring, slightly smudging the glass display.

"You should be asking her mother not yours," Bree pointed out, "Have you even gotten her ring size?"

Jalen dug into his jeans pocket and pulled out a ring that Noelani had gotten from a clothing store at a mall last year.

"You think this is good enough?" Jalen asked.

Bree shrugged, "It's gonna have to be. Where's an associate?"

Jalen surveyed the array of rings and sighed, "I don't know. I just don't know. I wanted to make the proposal a surprise but I don't want her to hate her engagement ring."

"Which is why you should call her mother," Bree prodded.

Jalen nodded before pulling out his phone and tapping the contact that read 'Anela'.

It took a couple of seconds before Noelani's mother answered, her skin tan and some specks of sand clearly on her forehead.

"Hey, Jalen." Anela greeted him, "What's going on?"

"I need to tell you something," Jalen flashed the phone towards his mother, "She's here too because I need help."

"Oh, hi Bree. What's going on?"

"Just, uh, ring shopping."

Anela was quiet, clearly taking in his words before starting to let out an excited noise, "Oh my God! Oh my God! You're proposing!"