97

Ruby sat inbetween Draco and I's beds, I waited for him to wake up before getting up but I didn't know it would be hours before he finally woke again.

I was still processing Harry's words from the day prior, having not told anyone because I was still struggling to believe it myself.

My head was no longer pounding when I finally looked over at Ruby who looked almost sadly at me "heard Harry came to visit you" she said quietly as she helped me sit up handing me some water.

I nodded, not saying much on the matter as I didn't exactly know what to say in response to Harry visiting me especially given the circumstances of why he did.

I was sitting in silence as I drank my water not looking at Ruby as I sighed glancing at the blonde.

"He's healing" Ruby commented but I ignored her as I was unable to help but notice how peaceful he looked as he slept "I miss him" I did even though he was next to me I still missed him more than anything.

"I know"

Finally I looked at her like actually looked at her.

"He'll be fine—Madam Pomfrey said he should be awake by midnight tonight" I nodded moving my gaze back to the blonde "I'm just worried" I mumbled as I slowly brought my feet to the side of the bed.

Ruby didn't argue with me about getting up because she knew that I wouldn't listen, I mean I never do.

I slowly walked over to Draco's bedside Ruby giving me her chair to sit in as I held Draco's hand.

"He's looks so peaceful" I smiled looking back at Ruby who smiled softly at how rare the sight was for her unknowing that it was common for me.

"It wasn't a unforgivable that hit him" I started, my fingers running across his shirt where no trace of any scars that could have caused his bleeding could be found "I just don't know what spell or curse could have caused him to bleed out like that—I remember there being so much blood I was covered in it"

I paused looking at Ruby who observed me, trying to find a trace of any blood on me "I almost watched him die infront of me—I can't—I can't watch someone else I love die infront of me again" I said without much thought not realizing what I had said.

Ruby knew about how my mom died but she didn't know I saw it happen, she didn't know so when I saw her expression change into one of confusion I realized.

"what do you mean..." she paused "again?" she finished dragging out the last word and I gave her an awkward smile, turning to face her fully.

"My 7th birthday—you know my mom died—I watched her get killed infront of me after both of us were tortured for 7 hours" I hesitated, flinching at the memory and I saw her fall to her knees.

"oh my—Iris I'm so sorry" was all she could say and honestly I didn't blame her especially not after she pulled me into a hug.

I was so cried out from the past few months I couldn't cry anymore, so when she hugged me I felt nothing, instead I was numb.

She hugged me for a few more se conds before breaking away, giving us safe distance between each other "Draco knows I'm assuming" she said and I nodded "he and Ivy are the only ones besides my family who know"

She looked at Draco and sighed "that explains why hes extra protective of you on your birthday" she said looking back at me "he cares about you deeply" I bit back my smile slipping my hand back into Draco's as I waited for him to wake up.

~~~

At some point I ended up back in my assigned bed, asleep hugging a stuffed animal to my chest when the sound of someone saying my name woke me up.

I opened my eyes slowly and letting them focus on the blonde who now sat up straight eyes on me "Draco?" I asked tiredly before realizing and sitting up straight "Draco!" I exclaimed quietly as I got up and found myself wrapped in his arms.

I made sure not to hurt him as I straddle him, my legs on either side of him and I looked down at him our noses barely touching.

"How are you feeling" I asked and he shrugged "considering I almost died—I'm feeling okay" he smiled sneaking his hands down my back "what about you?" He became seriously suddenly, his eyes worried as they roamed my face.

"Better now that I know you're better" I admitted making him roll his eyes in amusement as he leaned back slightly the moon light hitting him perfectly "should you even be out of bed?" He asked and I shrugged "probably not but—" I leaned in slightly "I don't care"

I leaned my head onto his shoulder letting him hold me as I closed my eyes again "I almost lost you" I murmured feeling him run his hand on my back softly "I know"

"I'm here now though" he kissed my head and I smiled "but" it was that word that made my smile drop as I leaned back on his lap bringing distance between us.

He gave me a sad look and I knew something was wrong "there is something you should know" he informed and I felt my whole body run cold.