10 | 𝐁𝐎𝐑𝐆𝐈𝐍 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐁𝐔𝐑𝐊𝐄𝐒

Start from the beginning

"Why?" he asked skeptically.

"Mr.Borgin.." she slid her hand in her robe pocket as Borgin's eyes widened clearly thinking that she was taking out her wand.

But she just clinked the coins in her pocket and retrieved her hand out, empty.

"I wasn't going to take out my wand, Mr.Borgin." she chuckled, "I was merely checking if I had enough money with me."

But, of course, it was a complete lie. She, indeed, was planning to take out her wand, but decided against it at the last moment. She had two options. Either she could hold him captive to force out the truth by veritaserum or just simply get the answer out of him by forming a story. She decided to go with the second one.

"I am here in search of a particularly nasty man." she sighed, "You see, Mr.Borgin, that man took a huge loan from my father and when he was unable to pay it, he just disappeared. My father had been trying to get to him for years, but, clearly, he was unsuccessful. And now I am in his search and here I am. I heard from someone about a man working here. He goes by the name Christoper. I would be indebtful if you could tell me anything you know about him."

"It seems that you have been misinformed." Borgin chuckled nervously, "There is no Christoper here."

"There must be even a single thing you would have heard about him." she smiled falsely, already growing impatient.

"No. No. No." he laughed nervously, fumbling with his hands, a clear indication that he was hiding something. "Um.. It's already dark, Miss. The shop is closing. Now."

"Don't worry, Mr. Borgin. We no longer need your shop. We just need you." she smirked as with one swipe of her wand, Borgin went flying back, falling unconscious.

|| ◇★◇♦∞♦◇★◇ ||

"Rennervate." muttered Alicia as Borgin woke up with a loud gasp.

They were in a dark cottage which smelled strongly of animal dung and dirt with various things scattered around and the light scarcely reaching the insides, where Borgin was sitting, slumped, unconscious on a chair.

"Now, Mr. Borgin, we are going to play a simple game." fake smiled Alicia, "I will ask a question and you will answer. If you answer correctly, you will get to live, otherwise, your body will very gladly be hanging in your own shop."

"So. Let's begin." she said, grabbing a nearby wooden chair and sitting in front of him. "Do you know any Christoper who worked at your shop?"

"No, I don't know any Christoper." he whimpered in fear.

"Do you know any Christoper who worked at your shop?" she repeated calmly.

"No. No. No. No. No. No." he shook his head frantically.

"Wrong answer." growled Alicia grabbing his neck collar from the back and dragging him to a huge water container in the dark corner of the room, she shoved his face into the water.

"Speak the truth or you will be dead." she snarled menacingly, keeping his face submerged in the water.

She could feel him struggling under her hold, trying to breathe. Eventually his struggle started to cease as she finally decided to pull him out.

Gasping heavily for oxygen, he choked in between breaths, "I am telling you the truth. I don't know any Christoper."

"Lies. All lies. It's etched on your face that you know something and you are clearly afraid to tell me about him." she snarled, shoving his face back in the water.

"What is it, Borgin? I'll ask one more time." gritted Alicia pulling him out of the water and staring him dead in the eye.

The process repeated several times. She kept asking, he kept denying, until they were interrupted by a loud knock on the door as Alicia shouted a loud "Come in." still keeping Borgin's head in water as he kept struggling.

"Alicia." came the chuckling voice of Matthew as the door banged shut behind him. "Don't kill the poor man." he said upon seeing the gasping Borgin, but very smugly added a playful "Yet."

"Of course. Of course." smirked Alicia, releasing her hold on Borgin as he slumped weakly on the ground, as she turned to Matthew and asked with her brows raised, "Did you bring what I asked for?"

"Yes, my lady." he bowed down dramatically, plucking out a vial from his pocket and handing it to her.

It was a small glass vial about half the size of a test tube, filled halfway with a clear liquid. It was veritaserum, the truth potion.

Harshly tilting Borgin's head upwards, as Mattthew uncorked the vial in her hand, she forcefully fed Borgin the serum's one drop.

"Now, Mr.Borgin," she gave a faux smile crouching down to his eye level and staring him dead in the eye, she sneered, "Do you know any Christoper?"

Borgin, obliged to speak the truth due to the effects of the truth potion, muttered a barely audible "Yes."

⊱ ────ⓛⓘⓔⓢ──── ⊰

publish date : 28 June, 2021

word count :1250