Chapter Twenty Six

Start from the beginning

"My birthday is in three days!" Jen chimed, giggling over the phone like a love-swept teenager.

"Okay, Aniston. What kind of gift do you want?"

"I want your time."

Cate sat up, "Time?"

"Yeah. It's been a long time since we all bonded. I haven't seen you for ages already."

"And?"

"I booked a private resort at Malibu for a week. I want you to be there."

Cate paused, "I'll think about i--"

"Please? I promise you, all the people who will attend are your friends too. I promise." Cate heard the shuffling of sheets and she could picture Jennifer Aniston getting up from bed, "And just take this as a vacation. You need this, I  am sure."

"Okay." Cate laid down again, "Just promise me you will not invite men. You will only invite friends. Let this be an all girls party, Aniston or I swear.

"Gosh." Jen laughed, "You know me. I promise you, all girls and people you love, and come on, it's Malibu! You might catch yourself a bikini barbie."

Cate rolled her eyes hearing the bikini barbie, "Okay. I'm coming."

"Yay! So, I'll see you in three days?"

"Yes, you'll see my pretty face."

"Great. See you, blondie!"

When the call ended, Cate gave a defeated sigh. She's exhausted and to be honest, she wasn't up for a Malibu trip with her friends. She wanted to just curl herself at home, but it was Jennifer Aniston's birthday and if she wouldn't show up, for sure she would be upset. Thinking about the trip, she got up and got her phone at hand. She needed to fix her schedule, after all, it's a week long trip.

-----

The salt air kissed her face as the plane landed at Los Angeles International Airport. Malibu was still a city away, but the sandy feeling, salt air and the coconut drinks were subtly calling her already. Cate smiled at the steward who assisted her out and when she arrived at the departure area, she stopped, ambling at the moment. She was once here, a year and six months ago. She was here when she chased Sandra; it was the same place when she accidentally kissed another woman. The place still looked the same and she felt like it all just happened yesterday. Brushing the thoughts off, she walked outside. Her floral sundress swayed at each step and the clunking of her heels overpowered the music blasting from the inside. When Cate realized that there were a lot of people outside, she took her sunglasses right away from her bag and wore it. It didn't take that long when she spotted her friends obviously waiting for her outside a van. Jen was there along with Julia Roberts, Gillian Anderson, Helena Bonham Carter, and someone she didn't know. They waved at her and she gave them a smile.

"Hey, sorry my flight was delayed for about half an hour." The blonde reasoned as she went to kiss all of them, except for the other woman, instead she gave her a smile and shook her hand.

"No biggies. I just arrived too." Julia answered, kissing her cheek, "Jen and the rest arrived two hours earlier, Catie." Julia added and then she laughed when Jen rolled her eyes.

"So, off to Malibu we go!" Cate chimed.

"Not yet. We are still waiting for Sandra, dear."

And that statement coming from Helena made her insides twisted. Cate paused and stared at all of them, silently questioning them why. Cate exasperatedly took her sunglasses off and stared at each one of them angrily.

"Why is she coming?" She asked in a tone of displeasure.

"Come on, it's my birthday." Jen reasoned, "She's also my friend. You both are my friends and just because you two broke up  a year and six months ago doesn't mean I have to stop being friends with one of you. I don't ditch friends."

Cate ran her fingers on her hair and sighed, "Then why didn't you tell me?"

"Tell you so you won't come?" Jen replied, "No way, blondie."

"Hey, you promised you will only invite people I like."

"You don't hate Sandra, and I didn't invite Sarah. So what's the fuss?"

Cate exhaled. She wasn't ready to see her again. If only she had known that Sandra was coming, then for sure, she wouldn't come. But it was too late now, she's in California and in an hour, they'll reach Malibu.

"Oh gosh. I am hating this already." She complained to herself as she wore her sunglasses back.

"Excuse me? The birthday girl can hear you." Jen countered back.

"Hey, you two stop." And finally, Gillian spoke, "Can we just enjoy this week-long birthday bash like adults?" She looked at Cate and Jen, "We are not eighteen for god's sake. And Cate..," She gave her a look, "Your ex doesn't bite. We know you haven't seen her for a year and half, we get that, just be civil."

"I will be! It's not like I have a choice." The blonde replied, crossing her arms against her chest.

"Then act like it."

And before Cate could reply, everybody was already waving their hands ahead. And when she looked, there was Sandra in her white v-neck shirt and tattered shorts. Her hair was in brunette waves falling like cascades. She smiled at them - her sweet darling smile beamed under the scorching sun and she knew that Sandra saw her for the smile vanished after a second. Sandra walked towards them, and just as she was about to reach their place, Cate breathed and tied her hearts in knot, hoping for it to stay still.  She knew that in this trip, her heart would go wild once again.

"Hi..."

Sandra's gentle and nectarine voice hammered around the space. Julia and the rest were gushing over her and Jen even asked her about that one hickey she failed to cover up. Cate thought it maybe hers, but Sandra mumbled about Keanu, giggling with the girls like teenage school girls while telling them that he fucked her senselessly. There were giggles and gossips being shared, but Cate wasn't picking any of those, for the moment Sandra uttered her hi, she froze. Her heart failed to stay still and now, it was on the cold hard ground, wildly beating Sandra's name.

***