I made my way outside, sitting up to wait for Qibli. I watched the students coming and going, milling about. For some reason, their thoughts were hopeful, wishing the best for each other. I felt... comfortable here. No one seemed to reject any others because of their tribe, or their abilities. Everyone accepted everyone the way they are. My growing smile was cut short when Qibli came bounding out again. A small silver chain flailing in his claws.
"Wait, Qibli. Isn't that-"
"Marvin's treasure?" He held it up. "Yes. But there was something about it that I just couldn't get. Like, I understand the two of you can communicate through telepathy, but to me for example."
Yeah, how could Marvin talk to Winter, or Kinkajou, or Turtle, or Qibli? Don't we have different languages?
"So I showed it to Turtle and Winter, because Winter knew about Pyrite before anyone else, and Turtle's an animus." He stepped closer. "They both said this chain was animus touched."
"What?" I held up the slung silver object.
"Yeah, exactly. So what I'm thinking, is that this necklace is what allows Marvin to talk with us. Because don't you remember the attack on the base?"
"Yeah."
"Marvin lost his necklace, and that other soldier had it and he could understand us."
My eyes widened. I looked down at the silver chain. It was a long series of silver links, a clasp on the opposite end. But a thing was supported by the links. I looked closer and saw, it was actually a human suspended on two beams. His head hung, and he looked shriveled, like he was in pain.
So this was the thing that Marvin had? How? Why?
"I don't know how, but this must've happened before Jerboa... but why? Who made it? It just makes no sense."
"But you're thinking of duplicating it?"
Qibli seemed to smile and nod at the same time.
"Yeah, I mean, why not? I could test my theory, Marvin could keep his, and maybe we could talk to more scavengers than just Marvin."
While I didn't like taking something that belonged to Marvin, just to duplicate it, I knew it would be helpful if we ever came across more humans. With a sigh, I let Qibli reassemble the bowl in front of me, out of sight of any nosy students. He gently placed the necklace into the bowl.
"Twice as much please." He said calmly.
The necklace seemed to blur, suddenly splitting into two identical copies. Qibli picked up the one on the left, I grabbed the one on the right. We stuffed them into our library card holders.
"Let's go give Marvin's back before we head out. I don't want him to be angry that we left him and took his one treasure."
I laughed. Marvin wasn't the person to worry much about treasure. I picked up a quote whenever he was thinking about improving something.
"I don't care. As long as it does its job, and does it well."
I laughed. He was very practical. Qibli shot me a smile just before we entered the healer's cave again.
I heard Clay's thoughts before we entered.
Okay, I've fixed him. I hope he isn't angry, we had to remove his splint and metal thing. Man, I'm hungry, I should drop by the Prey Center before I go back. After Marvin wakes up. Fire-resistant scales! Just like me. And mind-reading, this is probably the most powerful scavenger in all of Pyrrhia.
He was sitting beside him, watching him intently, until he heard us.
"Moon! Qibli! You're back."
"Yup!" Qibli said, arching his head up, as if he had a fanfare to express his arrival. Clay stepped up to meet me.
"He's sleeping now, but I fixed his foot. He should be able to walk normally now."
"Thank you, Clay."
He nodded, leaving us alone in the healing center.
Yeah, definitely going to the Prey Center.
I tried to hide a chuckle. Qibli had already gone up to Marvin, carefully lifting him up to hook the necklace around him. He was completely peaceful, nothing stirred from his mind. The only thing that signaled he was alive were slow, regular breaths. His chest rising and falling, softly and slowly.
There was something about his figure that filled me with sadness. Maybe because he was a friend? Maybe because he was important? Either way, he was hurt, but he's fixed now. I should be happy about that.
"Come on Moon. Let's go."
Qibli said softly, tugging on my wing. I took one last look at him, before following Qibli out the entrance.

As we flew, I looked down over the mountainous forest. Watching the dark green slide under and away from us, disappearing from view. I half followed Qibli, he knew exactly where they would be. He's very good with directions. My thoughts drifted back again to Marvin.
Was he thinking the same thing I was? I know he wanted to go back to normal, where exciting things were rarer and you could lay down and rest.
But then I remembered how Marvin tackled this. He lived day by day, focusing on the here and now, but still thinking about the future. Maybe I could try living like that? Hopeful, helpful, more outgoing, and strong.
"Moon."
Qibli said, motioning to the camp that slid into view. We touched down further away to not scare any of them.
"You should go ahead. You'll be harder to see, and you can hear their minds. You'll know if we'll stumble onto them."
"I get your point, Qibli."
I walked forwards, towards the camp. It wasn't a long way away, and I could already sense several humans milling about the camp. But the familiar hum of Skyfire enveloped the camp, and their emotions seemed... more on edge than they used to. Not many guards around, but the entire camp was awake. I stepped carefully and quietly, avoiding a snare trap that someone had set. I hid in the bushes, the familiar tents and table now in sight. Qibli worked his way up next to me. I spread my wing over him to give him some camouflage. The warmth under me felt nice, but my focus remained on the camp. Three humans gathered around the central table. Goldman, the Sergeant, and another person. Hastings, I think. They talked, but I couldn't understand them.
"Yibble! Yibble yibble, yibble yibble."
"Yibble. Yibble yibble yibble yibble."
"Yibble... yibble y-yibble? Yibble yibble?"
The two humans turned towards Hastings.
"Yibble yibble."
"Yibble! Yibble yibble, yibble yibble."
"Yibble!"
"Yibble," Goldman mumbled. He stormed away.
"Well, that was interesting," Qibli whispered. "Did you get any of that?"
"No. I think it's because they don't have the necklace on."
"Oh. And maybe, because Marvin and you share mind-reading, maybe he unconsciously translates for you. Oh, that might be a problem."
"I'll only be able to speak with one human at a time."
"Yeah."
Suddenly, I felt a presence. Someone had separated from the camp and was heading toward the plane. I think Qibli noticed it too somehow.
"Someone's leaving. Should we go check him out? Maybe he might want to talk to us?"
I had a bad feeling about this, but I hesitantly said, "Sure."
Qibli backed out and snuck away. I followed suit, treading carefully so as to not alert the camp to our presence. I followed the hum that separated itself away from the safety and security of the camp.
What was this human thinking? Doesn't he know of all the dangers around here? Not just dragons, but the new enemy?
We followed him from a distance, slowly snaking our way through the trees. I noticed the smell of salt water and the gentle sounds of crashing waves. I remembered this, we were close to the ocean.
But why? Wait a minute, I know why.
Qibli caught me just before I stumbled out onto the beach, crouching down and covering him like I did before.
There... was a lone human, walking up to the crash remains of Marvin's plane. The thing that he arrived here in. The thing that set all of this in motion.
"Three moons."
We watched as he climbed into the structure. We could see through the broken windows, he walked up to the front. He stayed there for a while, just staring at the wreckage. But where have I seen this one before?
"It's Travers, isn't it? One of Marvin's friends?" Qibli asked.
"Ah." That's who he was. Travers. He seemed like a good person, he never had any evil or depressing thoughts I ever saw. Although he did have a skyfire rock now, and he seemed depressed. What was he thinking?
Eventually, he made his way back towards the door, bracing himself in it. As if he had been in that same door so many times, imagining himself stepping out into the world again. His peaceful-looking face was interrupted when Qibli stirred.
"I'm going to go talk to him."
"Qibli! No!" I whispered after him.
Qibli bounded out of the forest, giving Travers little time to react. But when he saw him, he immediately jumped back into the plane, missing his claws with a terrible shriek of metal.
"Yipe!" He squeaked.
"Qibli stop!" I ran up to him, just in time to see Travers get back up with his weapon, aiming it straight at Qibli's heart.
I tackled him, prying him away from the plane. We tumbled in the sand for a minute, but he got up quickly and blocked him in.
"Listen human! I'm with Marvin, he's safe and okay."
"Qibli."
"I want to know why you dared banish him like that."
"Qibli."
"Why would you do that to your own friend!" His tail whipped around, making a gash at the door and nearly catching Travers. He rolled away, barely missing an armful of venom. He was terrified when he got back up, shaking all over.
"Qibli!" I stomped, grabbing his attention.
"What?" His face was of rage. He was so mad at this one human for hurting his friend.
"Qibli, it wasn't just him."
I saw his face swap to fear, he looked back at the human who mimicked his own. A sharp click echoed from the inside of the structure.
"Let me."
Qibli backed off, keeping his eyes on the terrified human. I slowly walked up to the door. Once I felt I was close enough for him, I sat up and took out Marvin's necklace from my cardholder. I presented it to him. I blinked at it a few times, then looked at me. I motioned him to grab it.
"Yibble?" He squeaked.
I didn't move, only beckoning him again. His weapon still raised towards me, he reached out and whisked it out of my talon. He felt it for a minute, before speaking.
"Marvin?"
Qibli spoke immediately. "He can understand us! We can understand him! Quick Moon! Tell him-"
I froze when I saw Travers drop the chain, wheeling around to face down Qibli through the windows.
"Yibble!-Yibble-yibble!"
All of us froze in place.
Please, pick it back up. Don't hurt us. We don't want to hurt you.
Qibli quietly said to the scared human. "Pick it up."
Travers looked down at the floor, where the necklace had landed. He adjusted his grip on the weapon.
I slowly motioned to point at the necklace. He looked at me, then looked at the necklace. Almost like he finally recognized something. He knelt down, grasping the silver chain with his tiny talons.
"Is this what you want Moon?"
"Yes," I said, trying to hold back tears of excitement. "Yes, you figured it out."
"By all the moons, how hard did you have to make this?" Qibli said, clearly annoyed. Travers lowered his weapon, looking at the necklace, then back to me.
"How is Marvin?" He asked again.
I just looked at Qibli for that moment.
"He's... unconscious right now."
"What!" He yelled, stepping out and down. "Where?"
"At Jade Mountain. Don't worry, he's safe."
"Safe? The two animals he trusts are right here with me! Oh, I knew I shouldn't've just left him like that. No matter what Kish or Goldman says. He got us out of that camp alive, even if he had a gigantic secret, we shouldn't've made him leave. Oh, this is all my fault!" Travers paced around, clearly distressed. "I need to see him. Moon, I need you to take me to him. I have to know he's alright."
"He's alright Travers. Clay's working on him. He's getting his leg fixed." Qibli stated.
"His foot? You fixed him? Oh, thank heavens." He removed his helmet, wiping his brow, leaning against the structure relieved. "But he still can't come back though. Goldman will kill him. He told us so. And plus, he thinks Marvin shouldn't have been our squad leader in the first place. If he shows his face- Hell! If any of you show your faces, you'll be shot dead right then and there." He picked up a stick of driftwood. "Oh man, I wish there was a way we could fix this. I wish there was a way I could stop Goldman. I wish Marvin was still here, safe and healthy, he'd know what to do. I could really use a smoke right now."
Suddenly, he froze. We froze.
In his hand, where there once was a stick, suddenly morphed into a small white tube. Travers gasped, dropping it to the ground and stumbling back. Qibli's eyes were as wide as mine were. A shiver ran down my back, but I was still in awe to shake.
"Animus magic." Qibli looked back at the soldier, deeply confused by what just happened. He made his way towards him, Travers didn't move. Qibli turned over his claws, they were empty.
"You're an animus. You made that stick into... whatever that is."
"I'm a what now? No-no-no-no-no. You can't be telling me this shit. Marvin's the one with superpowers. I'm just a soldier, a member of the Airborne. No way."
Qibli picked up a small stone from the beach. "Tell this rock to turn into a coconut."
"No, that's crazy. You're crazy." Travers pointed.
"Just try it." Qibli huffed, passing it to him.
Travers looked towards me.
"Do it for Marvin then," I suggested.
The human sighed.
"Fine. What the hell. Rock... turn into a coconut."
All our eyes were focused in wonder, as the rock shuddered. With faint cracking noises, its color changed from a light grey to a dark brown. It increased in size and shuddered as it took up more space in the sand. What was left, was a small coconut.
Travers slowly walked up to it and picked it up. He blinked rapidly. His lips moved but he said no words. He was utterly confused.
"I-I-I... don't know what to say about this."
"Do you know what this means?" Qibli looked over to me.
"Jerboa... her spell. She worded it to only work on dragons." Who would've thought that animus powers could be with humans?
"Turtle. We have to tell Turtle." Qibli paced.
"Iiiiii have to get back to my squad. I need to tell someone this. I... I can't be in the same situation Marvin is."
Qibli walked up to him.
"Wait. This has to remain a secret. If you tell everyone, you're putting yourself and Marvin in danger."
"And if I don't, I'm as dead as Marvin, even if he is okay." Travers shook his head. "I'm sorry, I can't. I need to go back."
He walked sideways, away from us. Grasping his coconut, he ran out into the forest once more.
"Well, that went well." Qibli approached me.
"He's an animus! How? Jerboa-"
"Animus magic has to be worded strictly, or else it can be misinterpreted and things could go awry. Oh! We forgot to tell him about losing his soul!"
"He won't Qibli." Looking back at where he ran back to. "He'll experiment sure, but he's not evil. I think it'll take quite a bit before he does." Turning back to him, he was still unsure. "Besides. We have to go tell Turtle and everyone else. Animus magic hasn't entirely disappeared."

We flew swiftly back after Travers broke the news to his squad immediately. He went to McManis first, the most experienced one and the one who suggested Marvin to leave. I think he suggested him to keep it a secret, but he showed the Sergeant leader human as well. Goldman was there with him, and he did the same.
Two animus'! And one was the one who really banished Marvin. Two human animus wielders, who may be an even bigger danger than Darkstalker. We left immediately after, bound for Jade Mountain. We needed to tell the founders.
Once we touched down, Clay was waiting for us at the Great Hall.
"Moon, Qibli. Something happened with Marvin."
"What!" I gasped. "Did he die? Was the wound infected?"
"No, the exact opposite in fact. He just... mysteriously got better."
"Wait a minute," Qibli stated. "Travers, when he was ranting. Didn't he say something about Marvin?"
It all came washing over me. I turned back to Clay, he wasn't sure what we were talking about.
Travers? Marvin? What about the two? Wait, was he one of the three that visited? I think so.
I put a claw on his shoulder. "Where is he?"
"At your cave. I told him to stay there until you come back."
I took off down the hall. I needed to check on him.
Was he okay? What did Travers do to him?
I pushed aside dragonets, half flying as I moved as fast as I could. Sounds of chaos and confused thinking hung in my mind. I flared my wings to make the turns, clipping the corners and almost rolling me into the walls. But I had to get to him.
Wait. Moon!
I skidded to a stop at the cave entrance. Throwing open the door, I found Marvin sitting on my bed. His leg no longer had a splint on. He seemed healthy, if a little worried.
"You're okay!" I ran up and enveloped him with my wings.
"Of course I'm okay! I told you I'd be okay didn't I?"
"No, it's not just that." Tears started streaming down my face.
"Hey, hey. What's wrong? You look like you've just seen a ghost."
Maybe I did. But I just want to hug you right now. For forever.
I felt Marvin tense up for a second, then I felt his warm hands. He did his best to share my embrace, which made me tear up only more. We hugged for a few eternities.
For a few moments Marvin thought of parting, but he resigned to keep hugging. He wanted to make me happy, whatever it may take. And... I wanted the same. Eventually, Qibli poked his head around and saw us.
"Am I interrupting something?"
I parted the hug, immediately feeling a bit colder without Marvin's warmth. Instead, I was met by the warmth of Qibli.
"No. I'm just happy to see Marvin."
"He's okay!" Sounding surprised. "How? I know those tranquilizers take a few hours to wear off. For a human, a day even."
Marvin looked back towards where the healing cave was. "I don't know. I just... woke up. Scared the hell out of Clay, you should've seen him. He was showing his class off to me, I didn't know who they were, nearly took them all down right there. But he looked me over and said I was fine. Like... he could find nothing wrong with me." Suddenly, I think he realized we knew something. "Like... my foot, the inflammation. That takes days to settle down. And... my scars. I can't find any scars. And, my back, my neck..." Marvin looked up at me, he looked like he was reading me. He held up his finger, pointing at me, then at Qibli. "Something happened. Something involving my men." He looked genuinely terrified. "Something's happened with them. Are they okay? Are they alright? How are they? Any casualties? Who? When?"
"Marvin, calm down." Qibli tried to stop him.
"The one day I'm actually fine, and then the whole world goes to hell. Why isn't anyone talking? You guys have information I could really use. Unless it's for the greater good to not tell me, then at least tell me that." Plan Love. "What's happening with my men? What's happening with Travers?"
His mind was running in circles. Almost as fast as Qibli's brain. Visions of the camp burning, exploding or being abandoned. He visioned himself on a field, only with twelve additional crosses studded in the ground. He stood over them, crying. He then saw himself, attacking an enemy camp. Anger and rage in his eyes, armed with only what he had, he would attack the enemy by himself.
"Marvin stop."
And all those thoughts went away like that. The human soldier met my gaze.
"Are you gonna tell me? Or am I gonna have to glean it over the next couple of hours?"
"We'll tell you." Qibli said for me.
He got up, walking normally towards us. He walked with such a step, with a purpose. His right claw never swung like his left, unlike all the other humans I've seen.
"So? Tell me everything."