I Won't Give Up

Bela's eyes snapped open as she felt her breaths turn ragged.

She saw that she was laying on the ground. Her breaths were turning shaky as she just noticed that it was cold.

Her arms and legs were shaking as she tried standing up.

Once she stood up she couldnt bring her eyes up with her.

Her eyes were glued to the ground. She glanced beside her and saw a river that seemed iced.

Her breath was shaky as she tried walking.

But after a few steps her legs couldn't take it anymore and she fell to her knees again.

It was so cold. She felt her whole being shake solely because of the cold.

But when she tried to stand up again, she heard giggling.

Familiar giggling.

Bela looked in front of her and she saw the silhouette of Eveline, standing straight, meters away from her.

"E...Evlin...e..!?" it was so cold she couldn't even say her name right.

The child only giggled.

"Ev... What are... You... d-doing... here...?" Bela stuttered as she felt her knees grow weaker.

"You're dead, silly!" Eveline said almost gleefully as she laughed again, childish to the core.

Bela's shaky breathing quickened, "H-huh...? Of course... I'm dead, Miranda... She–"

"Wrong!" she giggled, "It wasn't Miranda that killed you! You've always been dead."

Bela stiffened, both from the cold and the atmosphere.

"W-what...?"

The child only laughed at her pitiful state. It was freezing so she started growing paler than she already was.

Bela gritted her teeth as she braced herself.

"Remember, three years ago, back in the Baker House?"

Bela listened, "Jack murdered you. Remember? When he threw you across the room the first time you entered..."

She froze. Bela froze, and it wasn't just her body that did.

Her eyes widened at the realization.

"S-so that means–"

"Exactly! You've been dead this whole time. You may have died years before, but your true flies and your true being died when Jack murdered you in the Baker house." the child explained.

Bela looked at her hands as she saw her breath turn cold in the air.

"T-then that m-means that my f-flies..."

Eveline laughed. "Have you ever even wondered why you kept on waking up? Why you could just reattach your limbs without any professional help? Why you just wouldn't die?"

Bela came to a realization. When she tried looking back up she paused half-way as she saw Eveline's overgrown boots right in front of her.

She looked back down as her hands suddenly started to turn black.

"You're nothing but mold."

Her breathing turned uneven but she grabbed the cold, moist ground and grabbed it hard.

She growled through gritted teeth, "...No, no. I still... Have to save... Mia... And my... Family."

She looked up at Eveline's silhouette, now back to where she was at first.