Chapter 42: Forever

(Your POV)

"I love you too."

My whole body freezes up. The sentence hangs in the air and I realize... I know that voice. That unmistakable, velvety, baritone voice.

"No..." I say to myself, trying to relax. "You're ok, it's just your imagination."

I hear footsteps and I could swear I feel cool breath hitting the back of my neck.

"Turn around."

Shakily working up the courage, I turn around slowly.

There before me stands the man I loved most. He smiles at me with bright blue eyes, his perfect mess of curls falling in front of his face. "Hello, my love."

I can hardly believe my eyes. Scratch that, I don't even believe them at all. I examine the apparition before me. He's just like I remember. His signature coat, his dress shirt strained in the front from being almost too small for his muscles, even the veins on his hands were just as I remembered. He was even wearing his key necklace that he used to wear every day. I reach out a hand to touch his chest and then pull back, afraid. It's not real.

"(Y/n)..." He reaches out and takes my hand in his, those long, slender fingers lacing with mine. "I'm here."

A small gasp of disbelief escapes me. "Sherlock..."

I slap him across the face.

"You bastard." I spit as he reels from the blow, looking just as shocked as I feel. "Are you kidding me right now?!"

He bursts out in laughter. "Oh, I've missed you, too."

Anger boils in my chest and I have half a mind to slap him again. "This is not funny!! I thought you were DEAD!" My eyes start to sting and I turn away, not wanting him to see my tears. "I thought I'd lost you..."

"I know, my love." He takes his hand and turns my face back to his, a sincere look in his eyes. I melt into the touch that I missed more than life itself. "And I am deeply sorry."

I take a shaky breath. "You had to, didn't you?"

A sad smile graces his lips. "Yes. I did."

Sighing, I look down. "Moriarty..." I mumble. Thank God for his death. I didn't want my son growing up in a world with that man in it. And then it hits me. Our son.

I look up at him suddenly with pure joy. "You're alive."

He smiles. "I am."

"You're alive!!" I let out a joyous laugh and leap into his arms. I have never felt more weightless and relieved in my entire life. He lifts me up and spins me around, his face buried in my neck.

"I've missed you so much."

"I've missed you too, asshole." He sets me down gingerly, cupping my face. "I'm pregnant."

Another smile. "I know."

"I know you know." Not wanting to wait a moment longer, I grab his face and crash my lips into his. I kiss him as if my whole life depends on it and he kisses me back with just as much vigor. I swear I feel sparks.

When we pull away, we're both laughing and gasping for breath. We stand embracing each other for I'm not even sure how long, relishing in each other's presence.

Very suddenly, he lets go.

I knit my brow, confused. "Sherlock?"

"(Y/n)," he beams. "I love you."

"I love you too, stupid."

"We're going to make this work. We're going to raise our son, together. As a family."

I grin. "That sounds perfect."

"Then make it even more perfect."

"How?"

He drops to one knee, reaching into his pocket and pulling out a small, velvety blue box. "Marry me."

My mouth drops in shock. He opens the lid slowly, revealing the most beautiful ring I've ever seen. It's simple, but beautiful. Just looking at it I was able to deduce that he had spent a lot of time and care picking it out. "Sherlock, oh my God..." He looks at me expectantly, love in his eyes, and I snap back to my senses. "Oh my God, YES!"

He laughs again and wraps me in a big hug, pulling away only to slide the ring on my finger. It's a perfect fit. Sherlock kisses me gingerly on the forehead. "I can't wait to spend the rest of my life with you." He whispers.

"Forever, right?"

"Forever."

---

I walk back to the car where John is waiting, radiating happiness. John notices right away and shoots me a confused look.

"You look... happy?"

"I am happy." I try to wipe the smile off my face but fail. "You have no idea."

He nods. "Well, good. Good. I'm glad this helped you..." He glances down and notices the ring sparkling on my finger. "Erm... where'd you get that?"

I take his hand and practically drag him into the car. "Come on, John, I have so much to catch you up on."

He pesters me the whole ride home, wanting to know what could have possibly made me so happy.

"Wait until we get home." I keep telling him.

I practically bound up the stairs to our flat, John right on my heels. "Come on!"

"(Y/n), what is going... on." He stops in his tracks as we get through the door. Not believing the sight he sees standing before him.

Sherlock stands in the living room, smiling at his best friend. "Hello, John."

John punches him clean across the face.