November Thanksgiving and a Wedding Part 5

Start from the beginning

She's a Saturn with a sunroof
With her brown hair a-blowing
She's a soft place to land
And a good feeling knowing
She's a warm conversation
That I wouldn't miss for nothing
She's a fighter when she's mad
And she's a lover when she's loving

And she's everything I ever wanted
And everything I need
I talk about her
I go on and on, and on
'Cause she's everything to me

  I take a moment to look up at Chris. He pulls me tighter, leaning down closer to my ear and sings the following part to me:

She's a picture in my wallet
Of my unborn children's mother
She's the hand that I'm holding
When I'm on my knees and praying
She's the answer to my prayer

She's the voice I love to hear
Someday when I'm ninety
She's that wooden rocking chair
I want rocking right beside me
Every day that passes
I only love her more
Yeah, she's the one
That I'd lay down my own life for

  I'm suddenly flustered and overcome with emotion. I pull back from him. Excusing myself I walk quickly off the dance floor hoping to not draw too much attention to myself and head outside into the cool night air.
I'm alone for only a handful of moments before I hear footsteps behind me. The heaviness behind the steps, the calmness they bring, I know exactly who they belong to. They belong to the man I left on the dance floor. The man whose eyes I know will see straight into my soul the moment I turn around.
"Daphne," I hear him whisper so quietly that it could've been mistaken for a breeze through the trees. He's stopped walking towards me. Maybe he's afraid I'll walk away again.
"Sorry," I simply say as I'm dabbing away the tears I so desperately tried to hold back.
I hear his footsteps again, closer now. I feel a pair of large warm hands graze my shoulders as a suit jacket comes to rest on them. He softly rubs his hands along my arms in an effort to rid me of the chill. "You have nothing to be sorry for. I should be apologizing. I've scared you and I'm truly sorry," Chris tells me.
I finally turn my body to face him. "No, please don't apologize. You were just singing along to a song. I left because I was just too warm."
He holds my face ever so gently in his hands, looking as though he's about to say the most important thing in the world, when the doors open and the guests begin pouring out followed by the bride and groom. I step away and follow the other guests to send well wishes as Ollie's car drives away.

~~~

Chris POV

I know she's lying to me. But I choose to let it go. This is something I can't get angry over.
  I watch as the guests begin to leave, hugs being passed around between family and friends. Walking back into the hall I see Adam holding his daughter. He's rubbing her back in a soothing manner.
  My mind is telling me that I may have screwed this whole thing up. While it seems to me it's all been too perfect she may be feeling it's just too fast.
Adam releases Daphne and begins walking in my direction. He throws me a wink and pats my shoulder but continues walking past me. Looking back in Daphne's direction she motions to let me know to give her another minute. I go back to our table to find my suit coat that she discarded when she came back in. I grab it and her purse while pulling the car keys out of my pocket. I join Daphne who is talking with her mom.
"I, uh, I'm gonna ride back with mom and dad in a little bit. You should go on," she tells me without looking at me. I choose not to argue with her and just nod my head. I lean over and give her a kiss on her forehead. "Keep my coat so you don't get too cold," I tell her as I hold it out for her to slide into. "I'll see you later. Be safe."
  Climbing into Daphne's car I silently curse myself. She's pulling back, and I'm letting her. How do I make her see that telling her how I feel is not meant to rush her? The ride to the cabin is agonizing as it's left me ample time to argue with myself.
  I use the hidden key to unlock the cabin. I walk straight through the living room, rolling my sleeves up and taking off my tie.  Making my way into my bedroom I start packing for the long ride home tomorrow.  But it doesn't last long as I can't focus long enough to continue. I decide to go out on the back porch where the peacefulness will hopefully calm my crowded mind.

~~~

Daphne POV

"Baby, what's going on? Why aren't you riding with Chris?" my mom asks me, her eyes full of concern. "Did something happen?"
Yeah, I'm a big chicken I say to myself. "I just wanted to spend a little time with y'all. Ya know since he and I are traveling back tomorrow and y'all are staying a little longer."
Mom gives me 'the look' as we finish loading up the SUV. The mom look. The one that tells you ya better cut the crap quick.
I try to ignore it as I climb in the backseat. Dad starts the car and we're on our way back to the cabin.
My dad looks at me through the rear view mirror. "Spill it, D," he says.
"How soon is too soon to know? Three months isn't long enough, right?"
My mom turns towards the backseat. "There's no way to really answer that honey. Look at you and Zander. You were together three years and neither of you knew. Although I'm personally very thankful that ended."
"I knew I wanted to spend forever with your mom after a month," my dad simply states. "If I hadn't been such a scaredy cat I'd have proposed to her right then." He looks over at my mom, taking her hand in his and squeezing it.
"How do you feel, Daphne?"
"I feel like I have personal baggage that doesn't allow me to accept the amount of love he has for me," I say honestly as it comes out as a sob.
"Look at me," my dad says as he pulls into the driveway and shuts off the car. "You deserve every bit of love that man is giving you now and in the future. He deserves to know where you're at in all of this, Daphne."
I know he's right. I nod my head and climb out of the car. Walking in to the cabin I go straight for his room. I knock but there's no answer. I open it quietly on the off chance that he's asleep, only to see his suitcase on the bed. My breath catches in my throat. He's leaving. My insecurities have pushed him away.
"Daph," my mom says quietly. I look over to see her pointing at the back door. Taking off my heels I slide into my slippers and walk outside.

Chris POV

I'm sitting here lost in my own thoughts, taking in the chirp of crickets and croaks of frogs. So lost in fact that I don't realize Daphne has joined me until she's sitting next to me.
"We need to talk," she says folding her hands in her lap. She's still wearing my coat but has replaced her heels with her fuzzy slippers.
"That doesn't sound good," I chuckle as I lean back on the swing putting one arm across the back and rubbing my face with the other. I want to be the one to start talking but something tells me to hold back and let her speak.
  "I love you," she starts. I'm terrified there's a 'but' coming. "You are someone I didn't see coming. You show me love in a way I've never experienced and I feel like I don't deserve it."
  My heart breaks. I'm not losing her but she thinks she's not worthy of my love. I want to reach out to her, hold her, tell her she's worth more than even I can give her. But I don't. Not immediately. Instead I pull out my phone and find a specific song, since music has been a big part in our intimacy. I press play, stand and hold out my hand to her. She takes it and joins me.  The song starts and I see realization flash across her face. "Randy Travis?" She asks.  I say nothing but simply nod my head.

You may think that I'm talkin' foolish
You've heard that I'm wild and I'm free
You may wonder how I can promise you now
This love that I feel for you always will be
But you're not just time that I'm killin'
I'm no longer one of those guys
As sure as I live, this love that I give
Is gonna be yours until the day that I die
Oh, baby, I'm gonna love you forever
Forever and ever amen
As long as old men sit and talk about the weather
As long as old women sit and talk about old men
If you wonder how long I'll be faithful
I'll be happy to tell you again
I'm gonna love you forever and ever
Forever and ever, amen

  "I will spend every day of my life making sure you know that I love you. You deserve the world, my love," I tell her when the song ends. "I'm not going anywhere that doesn't include you."
  She looks at me with tears, "you may have to remind me of that. And I don't know when, but I want forever with you too."
  "Always," I tell her as I hold her tightly. "Always."

Songs mentioned:
Any Man of Mine Shania Twain
She's Everything Brad Paisley
Forever and ever, Amen Randy Travis