Enquë

✧ Stoned Mountain Trolls ✦

It was almost the splitting of the day when they crossed through. The sun was at the horizon, creating prismatic colours throughout the vast, clear sky. But along their way, it dimmed all of a sudden when the weather took a nasty turn. Droplets of water trickled against the solid ground until a downpour of rain fell heavily on them.

"Here, Mister Gandalf, can't you do something about this deluge?" Dori squinted, peering under his dampened hood. They all looked cold, wet, and miserable.

"It is raining, Master Dwarf, and it will continue to rain until the rain is done. If you wish to change the weather of the world, you should find yourself another wizard."

"Are there any other wizards?" Bilbo was all too uncomfortable splashing behind the others in a muddy track, as he didn't have his own cloak. Raindrops poured directly on his skin, drenching him all over.

Gandalf had to semi-shout behind. The splattering of rain was drowning the sound of their voices. "There are five of us. The greatest of our order is Saruman, the White. Then there are the two Blue Wizards; you know, I've quite forgotten their names."

"And who is the fifth?"

"Well, that would be Radagast, the Brown."

Radagast was one of the five Istari sent by the Valar to Middle Earth. One could say he was rather different from the other Istari, in a manner of speaking, as he enjoyed the company of animals and nature much than with Men, Elves, and Dwarves alike. All the more, Saruman often called the quintessential wizard mocking names like, 'Radagast, the Bird-tamer,' 'Radagast, the Simple,' or to make matters worse, 'Radagast, the Fool.' One couldn't truly blame Saruman for his opinions, but they weren't entirely nice, either.

"Is he a great Wizard or is he - more like you?"

Anya nearly choked on her own saliva, suppressing a laugh. Gandalf sneered at her from the corner of his eyes with his mouth tipped, slightly offended.

"I think he's a very great wizard, in his own way. He's a gentle soul who prefers the company of animals to others. He keeps a watchful eye over the vast forest lands to the East, and a good thing too, for always Evil will look to find a foothold in this world."

As the rainfall slowed down, the Company routed beyond a moderately steep hill with countless large rocks marking the terra around. Then, they finally arrived at an old, abandoned farmhouse that turned out to be in ruins. Thorin made a presumed guess that it was favourable enough for a shelter, not knowing the prospect of its occurrence in the first place.

"We'll camp here for the night. Fíli, Kíli, look after the ponies. Make sure you stay with them."

Anya and Gandalf studied the place and glanced at each other knowingly. "A farmer and his family used to live here. We shouldn't be here, Mithrandir."

The wizard agreed with her. "I think it would be wiser to move on. We could make for the Hidden Valley."

Thorin continued to ignore the warnings. A bitter seed implanted in him to never give his trust to any Elves. Not one thing would change his mind, otherwise. "I have told you already, I will not go near that place."

"Why not? The Elves could help us. We could get food, rest, advice." Anya reasoned for that cause. And partially for the hopefulness of visiting her second home again.

"I do not need their advice!" Thorin spat at her.

"We have a map that we cannot read! Lord Elrond could help us." urged Gandalf more.