She hadn't realized she'd stood there for several seconds until Ryker's arms came around her from behind, one arm curling around her middle, his hand settling at her hip. His other hand took the cake from her as he kissed her hair. "I forget sometimes what kinda view we got here."

"It's beautiful," Jo said, leaning back against him. Being surrounded by him like this, it was impossible to feel anxious.

"I'm glad you like it." Ryker hesitated and Jo turned slightly to look up at him. "One day, if we want to...the Alpha usually lives here."

Oh. There was a lot to process in that statement right there.

"One step at a time," Jo said lightly, deciding now was not the time to dwell on that. She kissed Ryker quickly, not wanting him to overthink her reaction either. "How about I meet your family first?"

"Right." Giving her an easy smile, Ryker released her, only to offer his hand. Taking comfort in his solid grip, she walked with him up the porch steps toward the door, which was thrown open before they could even reach it.

A little kid with thick curly dark brown hair and golden brown skin came barreling out the door. The screen door slammed against the side of the house, which got a shout of disapproval from inside.

"She's coming, she's coming!" the kid shouted. He raced around, skirting Ryker as he reached for him. He jumped off the steps then raced back up them to hide directly behind Ryker, his hands stretched up and pressed to Ryker's back.

"This is Conner," Ryker said, "Brett and Aaliyah's oldest."

Right, the five year old. Jo glanced back behind Ryker, and Conner gave her a bright smile before shoving his hands against Ryker's back.

"Tell Lexi to stop," Conner said, trying to push Ryker forward.

Ryker, however, was an immovable object when he wanted to be. He planted his feet firmly and handed the cake back over to Jo. With a smooth, quick motion, he picked up Conner, spun him around and tossed him over his shoulder. "C'mon, kiddo. It can't be that bad, whatever it is. What does she want you to do, bake a cake? Karaoke?"

"Noo!" Conner squirmed around, trying to escape. "Uncle Ryker--"

"Conner, get back here!" Lexi's voice announced her arrival right before she pushed the door open. She tossed Jo a casual wave before putting her hands on her hips and frowning up at her nephew. "I'm going to teach you how to do Copperhead Road, you're going to love it."

"Oh. I get it." Ryker nodded once then set Conner back on the steps. "I'll hold her off for a minute."

Conner let out a whoop and took off toward the side of the house as fast as he could. Lexi started to go after him, but Ryker caught her arm. "Stop torturing the kid, will you?"

"Learning to line dance is not torture," Lexi huffed. "Tell him, Jo."

"Actually, I've never learned that one, either..." Jo said, then wondered if she should've mentioned it, seeing how wide Lexi's eyes got.

"You're joining my amateur dance class after dinner!" Lexi said, "I'm making Aaliyah and Brett do it too, and Ryker--"

"No," Ryker said, looping his arm around Jo and taking the cake from her. He deftly opened the door and held it open with his foot as he hurried Jo inside, his free hand against her lower back. The house was big inside and the foyer was painted in light colors offset by warm wood decor. It gave it almost a cabin-ish feel, very cozy and lived in.

"But it'd help--"

"Nope. One time Lexi. When I learned it, you said that would be the only time. You had your one time."