Something Unexpected

By Maura Glaeser

          You can’t spend your life worrying about everything, being free, is being alive…

            Prologue:

                “You can’t be the girl who sits back and watches everyone else live their lives Rose.  I won’t let you do this.  You don’t know what you’re saying.”  His face was right in front of mine.  His warm cocoa eyes boring into mine.  I could see the love for me in them.  The way he never wanted to lose me.  He’d told me this many times.  I just couldn’t do it anymore.  I couldn’t let myself fall deeper into something that wasn’t going anywhere.  It was a high school romance.  This wasn’t a love that was going to blossom.  He was a man of no intentions.  He didn’t think about the future like I did.  I shouldn’t have someone who only lives in the moment. 

                “I can’t be with you Gerard, you aren’t what I want.  I can’t give myself to you more than I already have.  This was a mistake.” He was suddenly grabbing my arms.  He yanked me toward him and I felt like if his eyes were knives, they’d have stabbed very deep, because he was searching for something.  I couldn’t tell what it was, but by the intensity so strong I could almost feel it, I could tell it was important.  I ripped my arms loose.  I could feel the pain start to tear through my skin.  Delving straight to my core.  I felt like my heart had dropped.  I winced, this was not something I’d ever felt before.  Why was I feeling this sudden pain? Why did it feel like the world was caving in around me? I turned my back before he could see the tears that were on the verge of pouring loose.  I put one foot in front of the other, and worked my way towards the door. Leaving behind the person causing me all this pain, the person who had made me feel like no one else mattered.  I should never have opened myself up to him.  Let someone as risky, and dangerous as him into my life.  Now, I was facing the consequences, and like everything else in my life, I was walking away. 

                “Rosalie stop! You can’t walk away from everything.  You can’t be your dad! Think about how you felt when you were six years old, and the man who was supposed to protect you left.  You told me you felt abandoned.  Like it was your fault! Well how do you think I feel? Is that why you can’t keep a relationship? Because you’re afraid they’re going to leave you? I would never leave you.  You’re my everything! The only girl I’ve ever truly wanted.  But now that you are actually living your life, feeling something, and being something, you have to leave?!”

                I looked back for one moment.  I stared at his distressed face.  His short, light brown hair was mangled from all the times his hand had been run through it.  His eyes were wide, and filled with tears.  His lips were shaking like the rest of his body.  His breathing was extremely heavy.  His chest was heaving, up and down.  He needed me. I wanted him. I didn’t know if it’d work. I didn’t know how to make a decision.  So I did the first thing that came to my mind.