52.

ThePrefects bathroom was not a place that Aurora wanted to visit, but desperateactions called for certain sacrifices to be made, and if Aurora had to be a pompous prat for ten minutes then so be it

ThePrefects bathroom was not a place that Aurora wanted to visit, but desperateactions called for certain sacrifices to be made, and if Aurora had to be a pompous prat for ten minutes then so be it. It was softly lit by a splendid candle-filled chandelier, and everything was made of white marble, including what seemed to be an empty, rectangular swimming pool sunk into the middle of the floor.

About a hundred golden taps stood all around the pools edges, each with a differently coloured Jewel set into its handle. Aurora scowled as she looked at them, why were some students allowed to use such facilities whilst others, mainly people with personalities, had to use the normal yet perfectly usable ones connected to their dorm rooms? Perhaps it was a ploy to help mould troublesome students' characters into controllable robots for the ministry, or maybe merely favouritism – Aurora was almost certain that it was the latter. She would bet her life savings that Malfoy would be made into a prefect next year.

There was also a diving board. Long white linen curtains hung at the windows; a large pile of fluffy white towels sat in a corner, and there was a single golden-framed painting on the wall. It featured a blonde mermaid who was fast asleep on a rock, her long hair over her face. She regarded Aurora with a blatant stare, one that clearly implied that she didn't believe the raven haired girl to be fit to use such a prestigious bathing area.

Aurora started forwards, placing the egg on the pool ledge. As disgusted as she was by the luxurious nature of the room, she couldn't deny her anticipation to try out a few of those taps. They were so inviting, glistening in the golden honey light, and Aurora had never had a bubble bath before – it was supposed to be relaxing, but the seventeen-year-old was somewhat a little unnerved by the prospect of swimming in a pool filled with large and possibly heavy pink balls, what if she drowned?

According to her Uncle, water-based deaths ran in the family, along with botched brutal beheadings and dangerous insanity, a trait inherited mainly through women; Aurora had asked how he had acquired such information, but Regulus refused to tell her anymore, especially if she mentioned swimming.

She made sure the door was locked, triple checking the old locking mechanism by repeatedly attempting to shove the door open, before casting a "Colloportus" charm, just to make sure. Sucking in a breath, Aurora swiped a scarred foot through the scolding water, before she was quite literally shoved forwards by a seemingly invisible force behind her.

She broke the surface, coughing and spluttering as Peeves cackled with glee. A middle finger was all it took to send him off, though, and the Poltergeist whizzed away to go and distress another poor, wandering student. Aurora paddled back over to the edge of the pool, clawing at the marble ledge as she tried to regain her breath; she had swum before, but only in a shallow creak. This pool was considerably deeper then what she was used to. She peeled her semi-wet hair from where it was clinging desperately to her forehead, cringing at its unpleasant texture before she tipped her head towards the ceiling and ducked back under the water.