34.

"Professor Moody" Professor Moody growled, scribbling on the chalkboard, "I'm here because Dumbledore asked me too, end of story, goodbye, the end - any questions?" He paused, his magical eye flickering around the classroom

"Professor Moody" Professor Moody growled, scribbling on the chalkboard, "I'm here because Dumbledore asked me too, end of story, goodbye, the end - any questions?" He paused, his magical eye flickering around the classroom. It landed on Aurora. He smirked.

"Now, Professor Lupin has told me that you've covered most of the curriculum, correct? Correct?" He barked, and the class jumped violently.

"Yes sir!" Lee Jordan sang, kicking his feet up onto the table, "We've covered dueling and protective spells, though we concentrated more on-"

"Enough! You are very behind on curses! When it comes to the dark arts you need to know what you're up against, you need to be prepared, you need to find a better place to paint your nails, Mr Borgain!"  

"Bloody hell-" Silas gasped. "This lunatic can see through the back of his head-"

"And hear across classrooms!" Moody barked, throwing a piece of chalk at the Hufflepuff from over his shoulder. It hit Silas' forehead. 

"As your new Defense against the Dark Arts professor it is my duty to make sure that you know how to protect yourself! Now, the ministry thinks that you're too young to see a dark curse in action - I think differently!" 

"Who can tell me how many unforgivable curses there are?"

Aurora raised her hand. "Three - named so because they are unforgivable-"

"How so?"  

"Any use of them will-"

"Land you a one way ticket to Azkaban, correct! So, which curse shall we see first? WEASLEY!"

Both Fred and George jumped and turned to look at Moody. Moody huffed and fixed both eyes on George. "Left twin! Give us a curse!"

George, after making two 'L' shapes with his fingers, answered. "Well, my dad did tell us about one - the imperius curse, I think?"

Moody nodded in approval. "Yes, your father would know about that one, gave the Ministry quite a bit of grief a few years ago. Perhaps this will show you why..." He took a jar of spiders out from his moleskin coat pocket and placed it heavily on the desk. With a claw-like hand he reached inside and pulled out one small, very shaky looking spider that wriggled and squirmed. Aurora winced, knowing what would happen next. 

'Engorgio' Moody whispered, and the spider grew to be the size of his hand. "Hello, you little beauty...'imperio'"

The spider was flung against the wall opposite, seemingly being controlled by Moody himself; he sent it bumping and bouncing around the room, and, as if to make himself look even more sketchy, started laughing manically. The class watched in mild fascination, a few slytherins laughing at the creatures pitiful struggling, their laughter only ceasing when Mad-eye made the spider crawl up their arms and under their shirts.