⋆ chapter four ⋆

CHAPTER FOUR

Nerves consumed Cat as she began to think of what the day would bring. Today was the day they would be split up into teams and Cat was honestly terrified. The team she would be placed in could either make or break her chances and she was really hoping her team would be full of bright, young, intelligent people who, like herself, would do anything to win. She was also kind of hoping that her team would contain both Stewie and Neha, but she knew the chances of that were slim.

She stood in front of her mirror, pulling tirelessly at her blonde curls, trying to get it to behave and tame it a little bit, but of course to no avail. Sighing in defeat, Cat tossed it behind her shoulders and threw on an oversized cardigan over her flirty dress. She then wore knee high socks and riding boots, completely acing the whole 'sweet and innocent' thing, with a very girly makeup look and bouncy curls. Smiling and batting her eyelashes at her reflection a couple of times, Cat decided she was finally ready. She had already downed three cups of coffee, so if she wasn't ready by then, she would never be.

After a few deep breaths, the blonde left her apartment and headed over to her car, the only thing running through her mind being how to breathe.

-

Once at Google, Cat had found Neha almost instanty (thank God) and after some nervous chatter and exchanging numbers, the pair made their way over to where they had been welcomed yesterday. Both of them were unaware of how the teams were going to be split and not knowing just added to Cat's anxiety. Neha had her hand clasped tightly around Cat's forearm as the bubbly girl yanked Cat down onto the seat, a look of warning on her face.

"Okay, Caitlyn-"

"Cat is fine, actually."

"Eh, I prefer Caitlyn. Anyway, you definitely didn't impress anyone yesterday so just be aware that most people mightn't be over the moon when they find out you're on their team. You can do it though, I believe in you and I know you'll prove everyone wrong." Neha whispered, smiling at Cat in a clear attempt to soften her words. Smiling didn't help though because Cat began to feel sick, the last thing she wanted was to have to deal with people upset because she was on their team. If anything she would almost be the most qualified person for the job and having her would be a massive advantage, but the sudden realisation that the others see it differently made Cat want to throw up. What if she was a disappointment?

"Well actually, she impressed me." A familiar voice said, causing Cat to blush and all previous doubt to melt away. At least somebody appeared on her side, a very attractive somebody at that.

"Uh, thanks, Stewart," Cat mumbled, refusing to let her eyes meet his warm, brown ones.

"What? No Stewie? I was just warming up to it!" the boy joked, grinning at the two girls as he sat down next to Cat.

"I mean, since you liked it so much I guess I could bring it back, Stewie." She replied, a small smile playing on her lips as Stewie lazily wrapped his arm around her shoulders while Neha gave them both a knowing look.

"Oh, oh, I see what's going on here. Wow, it's only been one day and you're already breaking the rules, but hey, you guys are adorable so I'll let it slide." Neha commented, winking at the two. Instantly, Stewie pulled away from Cat as if she was on fire and the two were violently shaking their heads.

"No, no, no. Uh, definitely not. I mean, you're definitely gorgeous and like, you seem pretty cool, but, uh, no." Stuart rushed, waving his arms about as though it'd prove his point.

"Right." Neha nodded, the knowing smirk not leaving her face. Awkwardly, Stuart turned away from the girls and turned his attention to his phone. As soon as Neha was convinced Stuart wasn't listening, she leaned in towards Cat, "You did well, he is cute!" she murmured, her voice getting higher in excitement as she finished the sentence.

"Trust me, we are just friends. That's all,"

"Yes, because you look at your friends like that and I flirt with you all the time, that's what friends do, right?" Neha replied, rolling her eyes. "Your secret is safe with me."

"Neha, seriously we're not d-" Cat started before being cut off by a Google employee calling for attention. Desperate to do better today, Cat instantly closed her mouth and fixed her eyes upon the employee standing in front of everyone with a smile on his face. He then began to say something about 'nooglers' and explaining how they would be split up, before Chetty grew impatient and snatched the microphone off him,

"You have five minutes, go.".

Cat sent Neha a horrified look as it dawned on her that they were supposed to choose their own teams and after yesterday, not many people were really gonna be wanting her on their team. She spun around to ask Stewie to be on her team, but he had already disappeared, seemingly trying to get away from Cat as soon as he could.

"Hey, Caitlyn, don't worry, I'll stick with you." Neha said, smiling brightly at Cat as she grabbed her arm.

"Thanks," Cat mumbled, smiling softly back at Neha.

"Anyone wanna be on a team with us? We are lots of fun! Really, really smart, but super fun!" Neha called out to the mass of people all frantically trying to find the best team, but of course no one replied or came over to them. Although Stuart did lock eyes with Cat, before fixing his gaze downwards, as though he had never even seen her. Cat couldn't figure out what had changed his mind about her so quickly, but she didn't like it.

"This is no use, let's just sit down and see what happens." Neha grumbled, pulling Cat down to the seats as she had done earlier on in the day.

"Caitlyn, baby, there's room on my team for you. We'll win regardless if you join us, but the choice is yours." Graham smirked, approaching Neha and Cat.

"Thanks, but I'm good."

"Your loss, you know, I'm almost going to feel bad about beating you."

"Don't count your chickens before they hatch, Graham." Cat seethed, glaring at the British boy while he continued to smirk at her, before swiftly leaving, not saying another word. Confused and admittedly a little creeped out, Neha and Cat both shared a look of distaste before sighing in defeat and dreading what they knew what going to happen. They were gonna be the left overs.

A few minutes had passed before a short guy called out to all the loners standing off without a team, those loners including not only Neha and Cat, but also Stuart..