CHAPTER 132

The Path of the Dead (2)

Camilla was speechless after hearing the end of Alois' report.

Spring had come to an end, with the summer winds now blowing through Montchat. The incident of the rebellion had all but been settled completely now, and peace had returned to the Montchat mansion.

The political trips Alois was having to make to the royal capital were becoming less and less frequent, with the number of reports coming in from various parts of Mohnton also having been halved. Whenever Alois was away, Klaus would travel up from Blume to act on his behalf as Duke, and the reporters skulking around the front gates looking for a scoop would disperse for a time.

From now on, they should be able to peacefully look after Mohnton... were Camilla's thoughts, just before Alois visited her room.

"...I can't believe it."

Looking up at Alois, who sat opposite her, Camilla finally managed to force herself to speak. She found herself simply shaking her head in disbelief as well.

There was a trembling in her fingertips. Even the breath that passed over her lips felt painful. Just what was it that she was truly feeling? Camilla didn't know how to describe it.

But, the shock had taken its toll on her.

"It's too unbelievable. You're saying that... Prince Julian and Liselotte were... murdered in prison? That's... such a thing..."

"But, their bodies definitely were found. My brother confirmed it himself, so it's hard to think there has been any mistake."

"Still...!"

As she instinctively stood up from her chair, Camilla denied it.

Of course, there shouldn't be any mistake in the report coming from the royal capital. She knew that, but still she couldn't accept the words Alois had just told her.

"Such a thing shouldn't be possible...! Because what you're saying is that Gerda killed those two!?"

"...That part of the investigation hasn't been confirmed yet."

Alois tried to stay calm for her sake. He frowned slightly as he gripped his knees, seeming to chew over every word before saying them.

"Prince Julian... or rather, the real 'Alois'... his body, along with Liselotte's, were definitely found in their individual cells, there's no doubt about that. What's more, both Gerda and one of the guards went missing on the same night. She was very cooperative with the investigators, and even denounced 'Alois' multiple times when she was being questioned. Saying that she 'chose the wrong master', and how much she hated him."

"But, that's..."

"And, although he was supposed to be keeping watch on her, it seemed like the missing guard had become quite close with Gerda as he guarded her cell. Some even said he was going too far in favouring her. The guard was quite old, close to retirement age and unmarried... because he had been serving a long time, he was able to give her quite flexible treatment... These are the facts of the case."

Hearing the words from Alois made it very easy to construct a picture of just what had happened.

Gerda conspired with a prison guard that she had drawn to her side, and used the opportunity to murder 'Alois' and his companion, who she held a deep grudge against. After that, the two of them escaped. It was an easy to understand tale.

Camilla chewed her lips as she paced back and forth, biting back her words. Just what was the impulse she was feeling? Camilla didn't know herself. Julian, Liselotte and Gerda... It was as if all the wrong people had been picked for these roles.