CHAPTER 44

3 – 13

The cavern began to collapse entirely.

Following Nicole, people began to flee as they screamed. Miasma exploded into light, the walls collapsed, the ground beneath their feet ruptured.

"If you are able, carry the injured to safety! Keep an eye on the children! Lend a hand to the elderly!"

Through the chaos, Camilla shouted out orders. Helping one another, even the injured and the children were able to make their way out of the cavern.

"Has everyone escaped!?"

Once everyone had passed her by, Camilla breathlessly looked back at the cavern as she yelled. Anyone who hadn't made it already probably wasn't going to make it at all. There was no one back there still moving... No, there was.

"Wait, please wait! Someone, help!"

Squirming in the shadow of a recent collapse, someone moved. Beside them, another person stood, crying out for help.

As another explosion lit up the cavern, she could see who they were in the flash of light.

It was that girl, Irma... As well as that other girl with brown hair and skin like a porcelain mask. A maid with a beauty spot under her eye.

"Frida was caught under the rocks! Please don't leave her here! Help!!"

Frida's foot had been completely pinned under falling debris from her ankle down.

Trying to escape together, Irma had taken Frida's hand to run. Frida had never been a fast runner, so Irma stayed alongside her to try and make sure she got to safety.

But, as the two were running, an explosion flared up right next to them. It wasn't a massive explosion, but it was enough to knock rocks loose from the ceiling.

Irma had been right in front of that sudden reaction of magical energy. Shocked by that sudden explosion, Irma had come to a stunned stop. It was then that Frida had seen it. Purely on instinct, she had pushed Irma out of the way.

Irma fell, and by the time she had gotten back up, she could already see Frida pinned under the debris.

"Frida!"

Irma rushed over to her in a panic. The rocks that pinned her wouldn't move no matter how much strength she pushed with. There was nothing Irma could do to help her alone.

Frida's face twisted in agony. She couldn't see what had happened to her foot that had been caught under the rocks, but she didn't want to imagine it.

"Somebody, help!!"

Irma cried out in desperation as she shoved her body against the biggest of the fallen rocks. But, as everyone fled, no one stopped to help. They just got further and further away. The quaking ground and explosions rocking the cavern made it obvious that their time was running out.

"Irma, stop. Go already."

As Frida said that, that once expressionless face was tinged with sorrow. It was hopeless. She couldn't free herself at all. Her fate had already been sealed.

But Irma shook her head, tears in her eyes.

"No! Someone, my friend is...! Help, please!!"

She screamed at the top of her lungs until her voice went hoarse. Her voice even carried above the booming explosions. But everyone had already escaped, just why would any of them come back?

"Frida! No! Please, someone help!!"

The damp cold of the rock seeped into her palms as she threw her weight against it. Irma didn't know what more she could do. The cavern was getting hotter by the minute due to the explosions, but her body felt nothing but a dreadful chill, as the terror ran her veins cold.