CHAPTER 69

4 (2) – 10

What Franz is to Klaus, Camilla was to Liselotte.

Camilla hadn't merely been in love with Prince Julian, she had worked herself to the bone in a desperate effort to capture his attention.

In order to capture the eye of the Prince, she would push others out of the picture and use whatever means at her disposal to get close to him: her parent's influence, her own connections, as well as a few well-spun lies. In her quest to become the image of the Prince's ideal women, she picked out the most beautiful dresses, wore all sorts of finery, and spent untold hours applying powder and other makeup. She even kept tabs on whichever topics took the Prince's fancy so that she could study them as well, in hopes of catching him in a conversation.

And yet, Camilla's wish never came true. No matter how much she yearned for him, the Prince's heart belonged solely to Liselotte. No matter how much she dressed or studied to suit his tastes, it was Liselotte that the Prince sought after.

Frustrating. Frustrating, frustrating, frustrating, it was unbearable.

– Just why did you never look my way?

"Your position is what Franz wants above all else, isn't that right?"

Lifting her head haughtily, Camilla glared at Klaus.

"He made an incredible effort, and yet he still hasn't obtained it. But you're just going to throw it away because you feel 'sorry' for your brother."

His brother was willing to become unsightly in his desperate fight for what he desired, yet Klaus was content to simply toss it aside. What was treasure in Franz's eyes seemed like garbage to Klaus.

"All you're doing is making a fool out of Franz and everything he's worked for. Not just being the head of the Lörrich family, but his plans for the future of this town and its people. It's like saying everything he's been working his entire life towards is worthless!"

Camilla paused to catch her breath.

If something was deeply important to you, seeing it tossed aside like trash would hurt. Yet being reduced to having to pick it up in someone else's wake, like a starving beggar, was equally painful. She had always wanted to win it herself. Her hopes, her desires, Camilla had always struggled to make them happen herself.

"No one would be happy to be given something like that out of pity!"

"...Really?"

Klaus slowly crossed his arms as he looked at Camilla.

It was hard to tell what he was thinking, since his expression remained unmoved. Klaus, and Alois as well, just why were both their faces so hard to read at times?

"Wouldn't he still be happy about it? Even if it's second-hand, it'd still be his."

"It's exactly because it is second-hand that he won't!"

"If Liselotte had stood aside for you as well, the Prince might have become yours too."

As he said that so calmly, Camilla's words stuck in her throat.

If only Liselotte wasn't there... She had often thought about it.

"You still love that Prince, right? Even if it were an unsightly victory, you would still want to be chosen, right?"

Klaus' smile suddenly turned back into that usual teasing smirk of his.

Camilla felt like that expression of his was trying to goad her into giving up.

"If you really want something, you would take it no matter how it fell to you. If you wouldn't take it, could you say you really wanted it?"

She didn't know what to say back to him.